For more information visit:
Art with Heart is a nonprofit organization based in Seattle, WA, dedicated to supporting the emotional well-being of children affected by hardship. Since 2002, we have created healing, therapeutic activity books that bring together the best in therapy with world-class illustration to help children and teens facing distress use creativity to lead to inspired possibilities. Now in our third decade, we seek to scale our good by building robust local, regional, and national partnerships, developing online tools to reach more youth-serving adults, and creating rigorous research plans to prove with data what we know from qualitative research: Art with Heart helps children turn pain into possibility and despair into hope.
Art with Heart is seeking a dynamic, compassionate, and inspired Development professional and leader who is passionate about inspiring individuals, partners, and foundations to support and fund Art with Heart’s mission and vision.
This position is responsible for delivering annual fundraising goals for the organization through the growth and cultivation of a portfolio of individuals, organizations, and foundations. The focus of the Development Manager role is major and mid-level gifts, corporate sponsorship, and foundation grants. This person also leads cultivation events and activities designed to inspire engagement, affinity, and drive annual fundraising objectives.
Art with Heart is on a mission to deepen and broaden our reach and impact over the coming decade with the goal of empowering more children than ever see the possibility for their lives. We will do this by identifying regional and national partners—organizations that already have mental health experts who work with children and are in need of more tools to help children heal and build hope. We are also focused on meeting people where they are by creating and curating innovative relevant online content to youth-serving adults so that they feel both equipped and empowered to support children as they experience breakthroughs that turn pain into possibility. We will build from our strong core of depthful therapeutic books, while broadening and deepening our reach though innovative new strategies. The Development Manager and his/her team will be essential to securing the funding necessary to fuel the organization’s vision.
This position will report to the CEO and will be a member of the leadership team.
Summary of key responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
The Development Manager will focus on four key strategies:
• Acquire and inspire new multi-year major ($25K and above) and mid-level donors ($1K-$25K) to give.
• Build an effective, energizing, annual fund program focused on engaging contributors giving $1-$1K.
• Identify robust grant pipeline to fuel organization’s current and future vision.
• Build a portfolio of corporate partners that are enduring annual contributors to Art with Heart.
As a member of the leadership team, the Development Manager will:
• Serve as an ambassador and spokesperson for the organization both internally and externally, in 1:1, small group, and large event settings.
• Lead a team of 1-3 individuals to deliver on 2017 annual plan strategies and goals.
• Develop and empower internal talent.
• Be a key thought leader contributing to Art with Heart’s innovative future and long term strategic plan.
• Events and experiences – identify and lead intentional fundraising events and experiences to build engagement and affinity and motivate giving.
• Communication - oversee donor communication, recognition and acknowledgement process.
Summary of experience
The right candidate will have at least seven years of fundraising experience with a track record securing major gifts. The candidate will have a passion for developing internal talent and leading a team. In addition, as part of the leadership team, this person will contribute to the ambitious vision and strategic initiatives needed to fuel Art with Heart’s impact over the next decade.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
● Capacity to work effectively with wide range of diverse people, in and outside of the organization
● Skillful communication and genuine listening ability
● Ability to modulate skillfully with a range of audiences
● Effective written and verbal communication skills
● Ability to balance core mission, innovation vision, and business results
● Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines and goals
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team
● Ability to analyze problems and offer solutions
● Leadership – Catalyzes commitment, inspires greatness in others, and drives the vigorous pursuit of a clear and compelling vision.
● Composure – Remains calm, maintains perspective, and responds in a professional manner when faced with tough situations.
● Accountability – Takes personal responsibility for the continuous growth of knowledge, skills, and experiences to propel self and organization forward.
● Managing Ambiguity – Able to successfully function during times of uncertainty and change.
● Results Oriented – Gets results, achieves goals.
● Interpersonal Skills – Builds effective relationships, inside and outside Art with Heart.
● Customer Engagement – Builds relationships and delivers legendary service that meets and exceeds partner/customer expectations.
● Ethics and Integrity – Adheres to Art with Heart values and vision.
Salary commensurate with experience. Financial incentive available for targets exceeded. Medical health benefits provided. Simple IRA.
The position is full-time and may require some travel or flexibility in working hours. In general, working hours are from 8:30–5, M-F.
Initial application should include resume and one-page cover letter explaining candidate’s passion for the role and leadership philosophy. Art with Heart is an organization dedicated to self-improvement through creative expression. In your cover letter, please include how you use creative expression for your own self-improvement or reflection. Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All Disciplines, Arts-Related