On the Boards, Seattle’s home for contemporary dance, theater and performance, is looking for a Communications Director. This is a newly revised position responsible for working with the Director of External Affairs, Board of Directors, and other staff to create and implement communications strategies about On the Boards and its programs. The majority of work will focus on marketing, social media, maintaining website changes, press relations, design, and strategies that drive audience development, subscriptions, single ticket sales, and other sources of revenue. This new position is part of a larger restructuring at OtB and we anticipate slight adjustments to this position description over time.
We seek a confident communicator and presenter with a strong understanding of current trends in digital media/social media, and proven success in online and written communications. This candidate has strong editing, proofreading, design, professional printing/publishing skills, and the ability to present concepts verbally. We’re looking for a self-motivated collaborator with a positive and professional approach.
• Collaborate with staff colleagues to create marketing goals and implementation strategies for all On the Boards performances and special events with specific regard to advertising and broad-based marketing approaches (advertising, postcards, posters, emails, social media, etc.)
• Oversee On the Boards’ websites and social media outlets to increase traffic and audience
• Draft and distribute email marketing and social media posts about On the Boards programs and events.
• Coordinate the design, copy writing, publication and distribution of marketing print collateral, exterior banners, signage for interior public spaces (Possibly working with external designers and artists), as well as ongoing print materials, including letterhead, business cards, invitations, donor letters and other materials.
• Oversee press relations for the organization, including writing and distributing season and show press releases, and responding to image requests.
• Manage all necessary radio and print advertising and any related media sponsorships, including annual contract negotiation and sponsorship application.
• Build and implement strategies for growing the audience for OntheBoards.tv.
• Help conceive and execute strategies for data collection, evaluation, analysis and prediction of audience demographics and behavior.
• Attend monthly board meetings and present regular reports to OtB’s Board of Directors. Lead board-driven committee work
• Manage the OtB mailing list, assuring that database information is accurate and that OtB can track and manage constituents efficiently and comprehensively.
• With OtB staff, help devise and implement events, including Spectacle Spectacular fundraising dinner
• Attend shows and OtB events
• Other duties as needed.
Qualifications: This position requires a strong communicator with excellent writing skills, ideally with experience working in arts communication, public relation, or marketing.
• Demonstrated success using social media in a professional capacity
• Knowledge of arts, performance, and dance preferred
• Ability to adapt successfully to multiple tasks that occur in a rapidly changing environment
• Highly energetic and self-motivated; ability to work as an individual or as a team; sense of humor
• Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Patron Mail (or other email marketing services), and Drupal-based websites very helpful but not required.
Status: Full-time nonexempt
Reports to: Director of External Affairs
Compensation: $35,000 starting
OtB is a 38-year-old arts organization in Seattle, committed to presenting contemporary dance, theater, and multidisciplinary work. We operate with a $1.64 million budget and a staff of 15. We typically present 14 pieces in our June – September season by artists based locally and around the world, along with two locally based artistic programs, Open Studio and the Northwest New Works Festival. We also run OntheBoards.tv, a website which features full-length, high definition (HD) films of performance and is used in all 50 states, 157 countries, and by thousands of students at 102 universities worldwide.
Email cover letter, resume and 3 references to jobs @ontheboards.org (subject line: General Manager Search) by Dec 16th. Position open until filled. Final candidates will be subject to a background check.
On the Boards is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Dance, Design, Music, Performing Arts, Theater, Non-Profit Orgs.