Museum Education and Programs Assistant / Employment
January 15, 2021
Organization Name: Jefferson Museum of Art & History
Organization Location: Port Townsend, WA
Position Title: Education and Programs Assistant
PT: 20 hours per week
Pay: $16 – $17 per hour
Position Description: The Education and Programs Assistant position is responsible for the administrative support, logistical coordination, development, and delivery of a variety of community-based programs designed for both adult and young learners. Program content areas include history, the arts, archaeology, and social and civic engagement. Through collections, research, exhibits and programs, JCHS aims to bring people together to share, learn, and be inspired by Jefferson County arts and heritage.
**Please note that all JCHS programs are being hosted virtually for the foreseeable future due to COVID-19.
Position Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Assist with program preparation and logistics to ensure a successful program. This can include:Marketing, communications, and social media, partner and participant correspondence, creation of planning documents (program brief, staff & volunteer schedules, contracts, day-of timelines, layouts, etc.), vendor coordination, managing back-end organizational systems, set up and break down of program materials, post program evaluations
• Assist in developing program and resource content. This can include: researching, writing, conducting interviews or connecting with speakers, identifying and gathering objects
• Deliver programs. This can include: introductions and general event management for lectures, performances, etc., facilitating tours, lectures, education programs, speaking to community organizations, at community events, etc.
• Serve as the main coordinator for the American Cruise Line (ACL) Walking Tour Program. This can include: logistic coordination with ACL, walking tour guides, and the Coastal Artillery Museum, day-of coordination for walking tours, leading some walking tours, record keeping for all tour programs.
• Provide support for other teams at JCHS as needed, including the Visitor Services team.
• Provide excellent customer service to all JCHS partners and clients.
• Uphold the institution’s commitment to equitable and inclusive practice.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Satisfactory completion of two years of college work in history, education, arts, culture, museology, or related field OR professional experience in those fields may be substituted year for year
• Creative, out-of-the-box thinker with fresh ideas about what museum programming can be
• Experience working with the public in formal or informal settings
• Proactive, problem solver
• Highly organized with strong attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills, in person, over the phone and via email
• Experience with logistics and event management
• High degree of initiative, flexibility, and ability to work both independently and in a team environment
• Interest in equity, inclusion, and decolonization in museums, and experience fostering inclusive practice
• Evening and weekend availability
• Ability to reliably travel throughout Jefferson County
• General comfort using technology, including Microsoft suite, Square, social media, and A/V equipment.
Interested candidates should visit the JCHS website at www.jchsmuseum.com and apply via email by sending a cover letter describing their qualifications that match the position criteria and what they will bring to the role, along with a resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Education and Programs Assistant Application” Please submit your application by January 15th for priority consideration.
Final offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history, national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search, and a driving history check.
Position is open until filled with a preferable February 2021 start date.
Jefferson County Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
To find out more about JCHS, visit our website: www.jchsmuseum.org