Seeks Studio Lab Technician / Employment
University of Puget Sound
Job ID: 5063
Location: Art & Art History
Regular/Temporary: Appointment: Regular, Part-time (0.5 FTE) position
The Studio Lab Technician for the Department of Art and Art History is responsible for maintaining studio art facilities, tools, furniture, and equipment in the Ceramics Building, Sculpture Building, and Kittredge Hall. The Studio Lab Tech also inventories, orders, and organizes materials, equipment, and tools integral to the studio art program, manages student assistants, and coordinates projects with Facilities Services and outside contractors.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
• Order, inventory, organize, and pick up materials for sculpture, ceramics, printmaking, and painting studios as needed;
• Repair equipment in all four spaces including kilns, printmaking presses, light units, power tools, taborets, and hand held tools;
• Contribute to the maintenance and functionality of studio facilities, including painting walls, installing items such as hooks for tools, art display hardware, shelves etc.;
• Supervise a Studio Tech student assistant;
• Work with facilities to manage the disposal of toxic waste and other materials;
• Act as liaison with facilities and outside contractors;
• Oversee kilns and preparation of glazes and clays;
• May assist with the installation and de-installation of exhibits in the Kittredge Gallery, including packing, framing, moving artwork on and off campus, building mounts and pedestals, etc., in collaboration with the Kittredge Gallery Manager;
• General carpentry and metal working duties;
• Other duties as needed.
The Studio Lab Tech assists will supervise one Studio Technician Student Assistant. Duties include establishing work hours, organizing regular meetings to discuss tasks and projects, approving time card, and evaluating student performance as needed.
The Studio Lab Tech is responsible for working in close consultation with studio faculty to prioritize the use of instructional and equipment annual budgets as well as determining needs for yearly operating and equipment budgets requests.
• Bachelor’s degree is preferred; studio art or relevant experience preferred.
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and tasks;
• Ability to organize and complete projects in an efficient manner;
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds;
• Experience working as a studio or shop tech, studio assistant, or equivalent experience preferred;
• Experience maintaining and repairing electric and gas kilns.
• Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community.
Compensation and Benefits:
Decisions about starting salaries are made based on the extent and relatedness of the candidate’s education and experience and on internal equity and market considerations.
This position is non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
This position is eligible for benefits. Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/offices-services/human-resources/overview-of-university-benefit/.
Application Deadline: Interested individuals are encouraged to submit application materials no later than October 23, 2019 to ensure consideration.
• Letter of Interest
Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background inquiry and if applicable for the position, drug screen, physical test and functional assessment.
• We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
• We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
• We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1646496
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit “About Puget Sound” (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Stay Up to Date
Artist Trust works hard to to serve thousands of individual artists across Washington State each year, but we can't do it without you! Explore ways you can support artists like year-round.