Tax Prep for Artists / Seattle
Start Date / Time: September 9, 2019 6:00 pm
End Date / Time: September 30, 2019 8:00 pm
Venue: Mt. Baker Lofts 2915 Rainier Ave S Seattle, WA 98144
Price: $120 / $95 for Artist Trust members
ABOUT ART BUSINESS NIGHT SCHOOL
Art Business Night School is a suite of topic-based workshops to be completed as a series.
ABOUT THIS ART BUSINESS NIGHT SCHOOL
Mondays, September 9 – September 30 (6 – 8 PM each session)
In this series, CPA Valerie Moseley will introduce a framework for understanding taxes from the local to the federal level. This course will provide an in-depth walk through the federal income tax return, while identifying areas that are specific to artists as well as touching on important items that apply to all WA State residents. Furthermore, this course will explore Washington’s unique tax system, along with city and county taxes, and how they may apply to you as an artist.
*Open for artists of all disciplines at all career stages.
- State: Understanding the differences between B&O tax, sales tax, and use tax and how they apply to you
- Federal: Tax deductions, including home office / studio space, travel, technology, and other expenses
- Federal: self-employment tax
- City: business licenses and B&O tax
- County: property taxes
- Record keeping tips for future filings
- Step back and get a bigger picture view of local & federal taxation
- Differences between a sole proprietorship, LLC, partnership, corporation, S Corporation and why you might want to choose one over another
- Understanding what is deductible and what isn’t; how to think about depreciation and inventory
- Help you decide if you want to do your own taxes or work with a pro
- Get an understanding of what information you need to collect along the way
- Get you started on budgeting for your tax burden
- Answer those tax questions you’ve always wanted to ask / debunk some myths
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Valerie Moseley, CPA knew she was a tax nut when she started helping her friends prepare their tax returns for fun! – years ago. Since then, she has worked at several Seattle public accounting firms, helping individuals and small businesses with their tax preparation and planning needs. In that time, she has developed a reputation for her friendly demeanor and clear explanations. She enjoys teaching clients, helping them understand their particular situation, allowing them to make the best tax and business choices.
Valerie is a CPA licensed with the Washington State Board of Accountancy. She is a QuickBooks ProAdvisor, a Xero Certified Partner, and a Freshbooks Certified Beancounter. She is also a member of the Washington State Society of CPAs, the National Association of Tax Professionals, and the Accounting & Financial Women’s Alliance where she is active in the Seattle chapter’s tax roundtable. She is a financial literacy volunteer with the Washington State Society of CPAs and through that organization has helped new homeowners, low-income taxpayers, and budding business owners. She also volunteers with the Small Business Administration, introducing entrepreneurs to the fun world of business tax obligations in SCORE’s monthly Small Business Workshop, and coaching entrepreneurs in SBA’s Emerging Leader’s Program. Valerie has a background in the performing arts; she is the former Treasurer of the Board of Ear to the Ground, a Seattle-based physical theatre company, and is the former Treasurer of the Board of Washington Lawyers for the Arts.
REFUNDS & CANCELLATIONS Artist Trust reserves the right to cancel any program. If cancelled, a full refund will be applied. A full refund can also be received if requested 7 days before the event. Please contact the Program Coordinator if you have any questions regarding specific content of the workshop.
Partial need-based, Filipinx, and Latinx scholarships available by request.
Email Program Coordinator Zach Frimmel for questions about member codes, scholarship inquiries, accessibility, or workshop details.
B&OFederal TaxFinancial AssistanceSales TaxState TaxTaxes