2020 show EXTRA / Calls & Submissions
April 6, 2020
Organization Name: The Vestibule
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
Type: Calls & Submissions
EXTRA Call for Art, Design & Ornament
Due April 6th 2020
Bring something EXTRA….
The Vestibule is accepting submissions for a group exhibition, EXTRA, September 12 – Nov 15th 2020.
We invite submissions of art and design that play with ornament, excess – anything extra. Is ornament equivalent to excess? Is ornament a formal quality or can ornament be a characteristic of process? Does ornament belong to post-modernism? Romanticism? Craft? We invite contemporary art and design that addresses these questions. Submission may be art, design, craft, industrial design, graphic design, installation or any combination of these.
Visitors can spend the night in the Vestibule gallery via AirBnB. The gallery will select work that accommodates and plays with the our unique format that lets visitors spend the night in the gallery. We encourage submissions of work that can be incorporated into the interior design of the Air BnB gallery – even work that can be used and touched by guests. This work will be for sale to Air BnB guests and public visitors.
We encourage submissions from artists who identify as women, POC, Indigenous and LGBTQIA artists. The Vestibule has historically, though not exclusively, show 90% women/LGBTQIA artists.
Application deadline is MONDAY APRIL 6th, 2020: 5:00pm (ish. we’re human too)
· encourages to visitors to spend time with art: whether by sitting on our couch or spending the night in the AirBnB,
· provides a contemporary exhibition space for artists who are working outside the traditional commercial gallery
· presents exhibitions that play with questions and concepts that cannot be easily addressed in traditional gallery formats
· Work sample as jpeg, audio or video file.
· Submissions must be shared via Dropbox.com or Google drive. Please don’t email files. JPEG no smaller than 1800 pixels on longest side at 72 dpi. For large videos, please send a link. Include year made, materials used, photo credit.
· Artist statement about the piece and its context in the artist’s body of work: 3-5 sentences max.
· Resume or CV and link to professional website or online presence. This document should not be a hurdle to application. The documents merely provide context for the curators.