Seeks Art Gallery Manager / Employment
CCA Art Gallery Manager
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION: Gallery Manager
HOURS: Full time, 40 Hours/Week, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Executive Director, Art Gallery Committee and the CCA Board of Directors
Job Summary: The Art Gallery Manager develops, executes, and oversees activities to ensure the successful operation and sales of the Columbia Center for the Arts Art Gallery. The position also serves as the liaison/ambassador to the public, gallery patrons, CCA artists, and volunteers. The Gallery Manager coordinates all aspects of the everyday operations of the gallery and serves as a resource for artists and community members. In addition, the Gallery Manager manages overall ticket sales for the center.
About Us: Columbia Center for the Arts (CCA) is a nonprofit organization located in downtown Hood River, Oregon, in the heart of the spectacular Columbia River Gorge. This thriving arts center enhances opportunities for artists and residents of the greater Columbia River Gorge community and throughout the Pacific Northwest to participate in visual and performing arts, and arts education. The mission of Columbia Center for the Arts is to cultivate the arts in the Columbia River Gorge by providing experiences that touch the heart, challenge the intellect, and spark conversation. The organization supports a community that values participants and partners in the arts.
• Manage gallery retail sales, customer service, on-line promotion, marketing, and community outreach.
• Ensure annual Gallery ‘net projected budget’ is met.
• Oversee customer service; greet and assist patrons, provide information on Center events, and offers background and information on Gallery artists.
• Manage Gallery budget and inventory, including budget development, tracking sales and inventory, pricing Gallery items, data entry, and reporting functions.
• Manage all Gallery scheduling, including coverage during open hours, Gallery coverage during appropriate performance events, and coverage of Gallery events.
• Responsible for overseeing the installation and strike and maintenance of all Gallery and lobby shows throughout the year.
• Coordinate the Gallery Committee monthly meetings, prepare committee reports to board and facilitate exhibition selection and jurying of artists with the Committee for Gallery shows throughout the year.
• Manage artists, including communication with artists, solicitation of work; serve as conduit for marketing materials, track commissions, determine payments, and mail checks.
• Recruit, train and manage gallery staff and volunteers.
• Coordinate and manage all details of Gallery events: First Fridays, special events, artist receptions, events associated with curated shows, etc.
• Perform administrative functions for the Gallery, including ordering supplies as needed, shipping artwork, keeping equipment in working order, and coordinating year-end cleaning and inventory.
• Partner with the Executive Director on grant projects and on fostering partnerships with community stakeholders,
• Make sure employee reviews are completed on-time and manages any disciplinary actions in compliance with the CCA Employee Manual.
• Take responsibility for cleanliness, clean up, and maintenance of the Gallery and gallery workroom.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Community builder and collaborative team player.
• Creative thinker and problem solver.
• Strong background in sales.
• Working knowledge of social media platforms, and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Access.
• Ability to cultivate new patrons and patron retention with emphasis on repeat buyers.
• Proven ability to manage and achieve income goals consistently.
• Organized with strong analytical skills, and detail-oriented.
• Able to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Ability to network with previous artists who showed in gallery and also attracting new artists in the community who would be interested in showing their work.
• Knowledge and the ability to implement strong customer service and to articulate this to all volunteers.
• Strong knowledge in planning, co-coordinating activities and special events.
• Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
• A genuine interest and knowledge of art.
• Available Tuesday through Saturday with flexibility around event scheduling.
Education: Requires knowledge of visual arts, a BA or higher in liberal arts, business, or related field, plus 2-3 years of art gallery management experience: preferably in the arts or non-profit organizations.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds (shipping of boxes, artwork, cubes for displays, etc.) and climb ladders (handle artwork, access storage areas and lights). Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings.
Gallery Manager is expected to work one weekend day/week. Weekend days must be staffed by Gallery Manager or Gallery Assistant or volunteer.
Date: December 28, 2019