Assistant Registrar of Collections / Employment
February 21, 2022
Organization Name: Henry Art Gallery
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
The primary purpose of the Temporary Assistant Registrar of Collections is to support the registration responsibilities pertaining to the Henry Art Gallery’s permanent collection. The Temporary Assistant Registrar works alongside the Associate Curator of Collections to preserve, protect, and document the Henry’s permanent collection, and to assist in sharing it with the public.
SPECIAL NOTE: All Henry employees, as University of Washington affiliates, must provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or declare a medical or religious exemption. This is in accordance with Governor Inslee’s proclamation 21-14.1.
STATUS: Henry Art Gallery temporary full-time employee, FLSA non-exempt
SCHEDULE: 32 hours per week, Tuesday – Friday. This is a 6-month appointment, through August 26, 2022.
PAY RATE: $23 per hour
REPORTS TO: Associate Curator of Collections
• Utilize information provided by the curators to assist in arranging the safe transport of artwork under gift consideration.
• Execute all paperwork associated with incoming gifts to the collection including object receipts, deeds of gift, and IRS forms. Work closely with the Associate Curator of Collections to verify credit lines and initial information.
• Assist the Associate Curator of Collections in completing condition reports of new acquisitions.
• Maintain paperwork for long-term loans and promised gifts.
• In collaboration with the Associate Curator of Collections, assist in the review of out-going loan requests. Perform initial condition review. Work with lending institutions to arrange packing and shipping. Prepare all out-going loan paperwork.
• In consultation with the Associate Curator of Collections and exhibition curators, prepare collection objects for exhibition. Create matting and framing work orders.
• Update collection documentation for objects on exhibition, including condition reports and installation instructions.
• Work with the Associate Curator of Collections to assist with moving and storage of collection objects, including fabricating storage boxes and mounts.
• Assist in maintaining and updating the Collection Management System (Mimsy).
• Assist in the planning and implementation of collection-based programs.
• Assist in training work study assistants in proper object storage, housing, and handling.
• General collection maintenance and other collections related tasks as the need arises, and as they relate to the overall needs of the museum.
• 3+ years of work experience in museum collections and/or registration, art handling, and/or other related areas; or a combination of relevant work experience and education. Knowledge of current and accepted museum registration techniques and practices.
• Knowledge of basic preventative conservation, and fine art packing and shipping.
• Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in museum storage and collection management.
• Proficiency with MS Office suite.
• Strong prioritization and organizational skills; excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to meet deadlines and mange time effectively.
• A strong attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff, artists, other museums, galleries, and private lenders.
• Working knowledge of collection management database (MIMSY) a plus.
• Experience with Mail Merge a plus.