Assistant Registrar of Exhibitions at the Henry Art Gallery / Employment
August 7, 2023
Organization Name: The Henry Art Gallery
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
The primary purpose of the Assistant Registrar is to support the registration responsibilities pertaining to the Henry Art Gallery’s exhibition program. In addition, this role regularly supports the exhibitions team with research and development and preparatory support for both regular and off-site exhibitions. Priorities will be determined by the institutional schedule.
• Assist in preparing all exhibition related paperwork including correspondence, loan agreements, and object receipts
• Assist in coordinating and planning transport for artworks in exhibitions, including safe and proper storage, handling, packing, and shipping
• Work collaboratively with exhibition staff as well as artists, representatives from other institutions, and outside art handling firms to assist in coordinating and monitoring the safe and legal movement of art
• Complete accurate and timely condition reports of objects entering and leaving the Henry
• Monitor inventory of objects on loan and temporary storage spaces; Maintain housekeeping standards of the temporary art storage areas; Assess materials needs for the packing and framing of artwork and help to ensure supplies are on-hand for installations and de-installations
• Help to ensure adherence to art safety and security procedures; Assist in monitoring and tracking environmental controls
• Execute a variety of research and gather estimates for exhibition related activities, and assists with project development as needed
• Assists preparatory staff in preparing artwork for exhibition, including but not limited to: reviewing and formatting AV files, matting and framing, transportation and packing, assessing AV and equipment needs, and constructing commissioned pieces to artists’ specification
• Assists in installs and de-installs artwork utilizing knowledge of safe and proper handling procedures; Adjusts lighting utilizing art conservation guidelines
• Maintaining exhibitions including but not limited to: performing regular inspections, replacing lighting, dusting vitrines, monitoring electronic equipment, and performing other repairs as needed
• Assists with record keeping for both artworks and exhibitions; Maintains equipment and exhibition furniture inventories; Maintains supplies, tools, equipment and orderly work and storage spaces; Follows museum safety and security guidelines for secured storage areas.
• Assists with the transport and maintenance of collection works as assigned.
• Serves as an example to on-call preparator staff ensuring the implementation of proper safety procedures and ensuring the integrity of artworks through appropriate handling policies and procedures; Communicates effectively and appropriately within the team, the Henry and with visiting artists and curators
This position works in close collaboration with the Exhibitions team, and may be asked to lead particular projects or on-call preparator staff in projects during installation. Exhibitions also works collaboratively with Collections and may be asked to focus on Collections-related projects as needed to help meet institutional goals.
• 2+ years of work experience in museum registration, art handling, and/or other related areas; or a combination of relevant work experience and education
• Knowledge of current and accepted museum registration techniques and practices
• Demonstrated art handling experience; Knowledge of basic preventative conservation, and fine art packing and shipping
• Proficiency with MS Office suite
• Strong prioritization and organizational skills; excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to meet deadlines and mange time effectively
• A strong attention to detail
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff, artists, other museums, galleries, and private lenders
• Working knowledge of collection management databases, MIMSY
• Project management skills
If the above description does not fit you precisely but you think you would be an excellent fit for this role, please apply. We encourage you to speak directly to areas of potential growth, interest, and/or experience in your cover letter.
Please see website for full details.
EmploymentFree To ApplySeattle