Census and Immigration Exhibition / Calls & Submissions
February 1, 2020
Organization Name: ArtXchange Gallery
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
Type: Calls & Submissions
ArtXchange Gallery is calling for submissions to a group exhibition celebrating the rich contributions that immigrants and their descendants have made to the Pacific Northwest and our artistic community. First, recognizing that ancestral paths to the USA include immigration, forced migration and slavery, and second, recognizing that we are all on Native land, ArtXchange Gallery is seeking artists representing communities that may be experiencing marginalization and/or misunderstanding in the current political climate. This exhibition will coincide with the United States Census activities in April 2020, which is mobilizing advocates around the importance of understanding the diverse people and communities that comprise our country.
ArtXchange Gallery is a contemporary art gallery that inspires exploration, encourages global perspectives and creates an exchange of ideas through art. We exhibit art that reflects the diversity of influences shaping the Seattle community and contemporary global culture. In April 2010, ArtXchange Gallery debuted Sense Us 2010, a group exhibition exhibiting ten Latino/a/x artists from the Pacific Northwest and challenging the invisibility of these artists in the region. For March and April of 2020, we are presenting Sense Us 2020, an expanded concept to showcase the rich contributions of immigrants and their descendants to the Pacific Northwest.
1. The artwork itself does not need to be about immigration, but can address this topic.
2. We are open to all media, but please note that ArtXchange Gallery does not have equipment for video display.
3. Submitted artwork must be finished and available for sale.
4. Shipping coverage is not available for this exhibition, the artists will be responsible for transporting the artwork to and from the gallery.
Please submit to email@example.com by Saturday, February 1:
• A brief cover letter addressing your interest in this show
• 3-5 jpg images with image list detailing title, size, media, year created and price
• Artist bio and/or resume
Submissions will be curated based on appropriateness to the theme, feasibility in our gallery space, and overall fit within the final curated group.
Artists will be notified of acceptance by Friday, February 6.
Artwork dropoff will take place between Tuesday, Feb 18 and Saturday, Feb 22.
Opening receptions will be held Thursday, March 5, 5-8 pm and Thursday, April 2, 5-8 pm.