Event and Public Engagement Lead / Employment
August 19, 2022
Organization Name: Oxbow Farm and Conservation Center
Organization Location: Carnation, WA
The Event and Public Engagement Lead helps the organization increase and elevate community engagement, events, membership, and outreach. If you love taking creative event concepts and building the organizational tools, processes, and communication that ensure the successful execution of the event, this may be your dream job. If you understand that the backbone of every event or public program is an event workbook with timelines and checklists, and if you love simplifying processes to increase productivity – keep reading!
The position will play a critical support role in connecting Oxbow to the broader community through public events and engagement programs as well as through occasional private events. Tracking budgets and details, meeting with internal and external partners to ensure on-time delivery of program resources, operating online registration systems and having a keen eye for details are key components of the role.
We are looking for a technology-proficient leader with a positive, can-do attitude, who enjoys public-facing work, and who shares our passion for food, farming, and the environment. Our annual events calendar includes a wide variety of themed events, ranging from 10-1000 attendees, including an annual farm-to-table fundraising dinner and auction, a fall harvest festival, and monthly onsite public engagement events. This role reports to the Marketing and Events Manager and will oversee and direct the work of the event staff team. The position will be a part of event load-in and break-down of some events and requires working some weekends and evenings.
Event Project Management 50%
– Train, provide oversight, and directly support to the event staff team, including both year-round and seasonal employees
– Maintain event playbooks that track timelines, deliverables, stakeholder contributions, budgets, staff scheduling and communication plans
– Manage tracking registrations, tracking spending and revenue, scheduling, project kick-offs and planning timelines and updating state safety guidelines for events
– Produce production schedule and checklist for on-site production including staff schedules, load-in, break-down, and clean-up for events
– Produce guest and staff post-event surveys and present findings to the Marketing and Events Manager
– Maintain a pulse on market needs and opportunities for new programming and partnerships
– Establish and source vendors and materials in alignment with Oxbow’s sustainability standards
– Establish process for tracking ROI of engagements
– Maintain a master events calendar
Internal Collaboration & External Stakeholder Collaboration: 30%
– Distribute site-prep checklists for Oxbow Programs (Farm, Native Plant Nursery, Site Maintenance, Conservation)
– Support communication plans & timelines for Oxbow staff in regard to pre-event, event day & post-event responsibilities
– Establish standard event planning schedules that increase productivity and reduce stress and duplication of work for Oxbow events
– Support the Marketing and Events Manager with pre-event site-walks and venue prep plans to deliver highest quality participant experience
– Collaborate with Oxbow Managers and Directors build out operational needs for the Oxbow Membership program
– Coordinate external vendors (rental companies, caterers, other suppliers) requirements, timelines, processes and to execute payment
– Maintain event budget tracker
– Track and ensure delivery of signed contracts with outside vendors
– Integrate sponsorship-related benefits into event project plans and track results
Systems and Technical support – 20%
– Oversee process and tools for event registration and ticket sales
– Maintain internal Events Team Channel
– Develop online surveys using google docs or other survey programs
– Provide input into processes and standards for virtual events and/or digital program (e.g. Facebook Live or virtual workshops)
– At least 4+ years of experience in event operations, project management and planning
– Excellent organizational skills and an ability to present concepts to stakeholder groups
– Experience directing the work of production staff and/or volunteers
– Budget management and tracking experience
– Adept at managing multiple projects at once using collaborative project management tools
– Ability to work independently and within a team
– Positive leadership skills
– Flexible, creative, and able to perform well in diverse conditions and under pressure
– Knowledge of experiential design and/or interactive programming a plus
– Comfortable using Microsoft Office (Teams, Excel, Word, Outlook) on a daily basis
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY COMMITMENT
Oxbow is committed to cultivating a culture of diversity and inclusion. We value the individual differences, life experiences, and knowledge that our staff bring to their work and their communities. Valuing diversity is a significant part of our culture, our values, and the success of Oxbow’s mission.
Oxbow provides equal employment opportunities to all staff members and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Oxbow is committed to fostering a racially diverse team. People of color are encouraged to apply.
This is a regular, full-time position, with benefits that include 100% employer paid life insurance, healthcare, dental, and vision plans, and competitive PTO. Additional benefit information is available upon request. The salary range is $53,000-$56,000, depending on qualifications.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.