Events Support Staff at MOHAI / Employment
September 25, 2023
Organization Name: MOHAI
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
Museum Vision and Mission:
MOHAI is treasured locally and respected nationally as a vibrant resource where history inspires us to build a better future. To serve our region, we bridge the past, present, and future by collecting, preserving, and sharing stories through compelling, innovative exhibits and community engagement.
Position Title: Events Support Staff
Reports to: Director of Events Services
Location: MOHAI, at Lake Union Park’s historic Armory building
Classification: Non-Exempt; Part-time; Hourly
Schedule: On-call; flexible hours. Must be available 15 or more hours/week, including mornings, nights, and weekends.
Rate of Pay: $19 – $23 per hour
Benefits: Paid Sick and Safe Time in accordance with the City of Seattle ordinance
An Events Support Staff member represents the museum and its interests at all external (rental) and most internal (museum-produced) events. This position is responsible for set-up and break-down of event equipment and assists clients with technical and other needs during events, while preserving museum facility integrity and exhibit safety. Events team members are ambassadors of the museum and are expected to have general knowledge of exhibits, a thorough understanding of museum and facility policies, and enthusiasm for MOHAI’s mission. This position reports to the Director of Events Services and is a member of the Finance and Operations department.
• Ensure that all interactions are culturally responsive, respectful, and based on a foundation of MOHAI’s commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
• Assist with load-in, load-out, and furniture set-up and tear-down.
• Available as museum contact for clients during events; provide customer service and coordination to ensure satisfaction with set-up, procedures, and event logistics.
• Pay attention to activities during events, remaining available and easily accessible to client contact.
• Courteously greet and direct event attendees as needed.
• Assist event producers and complete other duties as required.
• Set up and strike events equipment for all events, including tables & chairs, pipe & drape, microphones, PA systems, and museum-owned A/V equipment.
• Operate soundboards as needed.
• Run client PowerPoint slides and videos.
• Conduct regular equipment maintenance as requested by the Events team.
• Interest and aptitude in learning, such as how to integrate client technology with house A/V system.
• Ensure that all MOHAI equipment is operating properly throughout events, troubleshooting as needed.
• Understand and maintain museum facility policies with clients and outside vendors in a live event setting.
• Decipher the event floor plans and follow the event checklists.
• Basic janitorial support as needed.
• Strike and effective reset of museum exhibit elements.
• Attendance at museum-sponsored events may be required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Background in special events, catering, food service, or related field, such as theater, auctions, weddings, galas, banquets, or lectures.
• Experience and/or training in the use of professional sound, lighting, and A/V equipment, including working knowledge of PowerPoint, Keynote, VLC, Windows Media, and QuickTime.
• Customer service oriented. Flexible and adaptable to the varying needs of the job.
• Work cooperatively with a wide variety of individuals, taking direction from various members of the team.
• Clear and respectful verbal communication skills.
• Responsible, dependable, and always on time for shifts.
• Able to take appropriate initiative while working in a team setting.
• Solution-oriented and level-headed when faced with issues or dilemmas.
• Professional in demeanor and appearance.
• Able to lift/move chairs, tables, and small equipment up to 50 lbs. and to stand/walk 75% of the time.
• Bilingual and multilingual skills valued.
• Enthusiasm for MOHAI’s exhibits, programs, and mission.
Find yourself checking many of these boxes but doubting whether you should apply? If you meet some of the requirements and you share MOHAI’s values and support our mission, we encourage you to apply. As part of our ongoing commitment to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, we’re invested in building teams with a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, and experiences.
For 70 years, MOHAI has been dedicated to enriching lives by preserving, sharing, and teaching the diverse history of Seattle, the Puget Sound region, and the nation. With a collection of nearly 4 million artifacts, photographs, oral histories and archival items, and an expansive schedule of exhibits and programs, MOHAI is the region’s premier history center. MOHAI operates a dramatic and award-winning museum in Seattle’s vibrant South Lake Union neighborhood and a Resource Center in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood. MOHAI also hosts the Bezos Center for Innovation, focusing on the history and future of innovation in the Puget Sound region. MOHAI is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, is an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, and has been selected by USA Today as one of the Top Ten History Museums in the nation. For more information, please visit www.mohai.org.
Please e-mail letter of interest, resume, and three references to Human.Resources@mohai.org.
No phone calls, please.
MOHAI is a 501(c)(3) organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team and an organizational culture that fosters inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility. We encourage candidates of color to apply.
EmploymentFree To ApplyPTESeattle