Exhibits Production Coordinator / Employment
July 22, 2022
Organization Name: MoPOP
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
We’re really glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP! We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a range of people, no matter our differences in race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, education, socio-economic status, ethnicity, country of origin, or any other characteristic that makes us who we are. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact.
MoPOP provides both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from any background to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is actively committed to ongoing learning in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). In partnership with our community, we hope to also develop safe spaces for their application. This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and encourage BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals to apply. We acknowledge that our work to build safe spaces and better systems for traditionally marginalized groups is ongoing and will require constant vigilance and expect all MoPOP employees to be part of our DEIA journey.
The Exhibits Production Coordinator is responsible for supporting the primary exhibit processes for the Exhibit Services team, with particular responsibilities in tracking and coordination of production tasks, communication with internal and external parties, and documentation of fabrication processes. This position will assist with coordination of the exhibit fabrication and installation process, and the coordination of traveling exhibits being hosted by MoPOP. The ideal candidate will have a background in fabrication and be able to assist the Exhibits Fabricators with light carpentry, painting, finishing, and other shop tasks. They will understand the importance of shop safety and help facilitate a safe environment for the Exhibits team.
The Exhibits Production Coordinator position is in the Exhibits sub-group within the umbrella of the Curatorial, Collections, and Exhibits departments. Curatorial includes all aspects of content development, exhibition graphic and 3D design, interactive development, and video production. Collections manages MoPOP’s permanent collection and objects loaned for exhibition, and includes collections care, registration, artifact mount making, preparation, and object installation/deinstallation. Exhibits leads exhibition fabrication and exhibitry installation and deinstallation. Curatorial, Collections, and Exhibits work in tight collaboration together and interdepartmentally on exhibition development and other content opportunities at MoPOP.
Essential Job Duties (additional duties as assigned):
• Working within the Exhibit Services team, under the supervision of the Senior Exhibits Manager, coordinate, and support fabrication, and contribute to on-time, on-budget installations of new, traveling, and existing exhibits.
• Coordinate exhibit installations and fabrication of new and rented exhibits with internal and external parties.
• Coordinate maintenance and upgrades of existing exhibits with the Exhibits and Collections Teams.
• Facilitate final review of exhibit segments, exhibit case layouts, graphic materials, etc. with fabricator before start of production. Manage all these activities within the project schedule.
• Document content decisions and circulate materials to all members of the team in a timely manner. Archive this material at end of exhibit project.
• Materials research and purchasing. Support existing relationships with vendors and find new vendors for competitive bids.
• Order, track, and reconcile expenditures through use of Purchase Orders and credit card for the Exhibits department. Track and update department and project budgets. Once proficient in these systems, assist Fabricators with reconciliation.
• Provide documentation on each new exhibition, to serve as a resource for future maintenance and repairs.
• Engage with MoPOP project management software and Project Manager for clarity.
• Working with outside exhibit designer and exhibit fabricators to help detail fabrication methods and materials for exhibit components.
• Track the various fabrication tasks for an Exhibit Project and if needed, negotiate new task schedules for the overall Exhibit Project Schedule.
• Actively involved with the installation of exhibits which will involve unloading trucks, painting, assembling exhibit components and the coordination of others in the installation.
• Actively involved in the fabrication of exhibits which will involve light carpentry, metalwork, wiring or light mechanical, and other work as required.
• Maintain high safety standards in the exhibit shop which will involve coordinating and scheduling regular cleaning and training per OSHA standards.
• Other Exhibit Projects and tasks, as assigned.
• Support our internal culture which inspires and empowers our staff to live our mission to its highest standards.
• Contribute to a consistent customer service standard across all departments.
• Work to ensure customer service is ingrained at the core of the team and is reflected outward to our guests and other staff.
• Commitment to participating in anti-racism work, learning about the ways institutional racism impacts the workplace, and supporting teammates in operationalizing DEIA strategies in the department.
• A minimum of two years’ experience in a museum fabrication shop, cabinet shop or other fabrication environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of exhibit fabrication techniques.
• Knowledge or experience working around museum artifacts.
• Computer skills, including MS Office Suite; basic proficiency of AutoCAD or SketchUp a plus.
• Experience with purchasing and budget tracking.
• Excellent communication skills required.
• Proven ability to provide effective customer service for internal and external client groups.
• Must be detail-oriented, with keen organizational skills to manage a continuous workflow in a high volume, multi-tasking environment.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment with a dynamic range of people.
• Knowledge and skill to use wood and metal shop tools, safely.
• Knowledge of OSHA and other regulations in a cabinet shop environment.
• Preference for a valid Washington State Driver’s License and ability to drive a 16-ft Box Truck and forklift
• Ability to occasionally lift 40 to 50 pounds.
This full-time position includes a generous benefits package which will be shared during the hiring process.
Reasonable accommodations may be made during the application or hiring process upon request, please contact jobs@MoPOP.org.