Glass Studio Charger/Closer / Employment
January 1, 2023
Organization Name: Pratt Fine Arts Center
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
The Charger/Closer position at Pratt Fine Arts Center has two primary responsibilities: closing and securing Pratt’s facilities each night and charging the glass furnace as needed. The Charger/Closer position also includes a public-relations/customer service aspect. As the only staff member usually present after 1 0:00pm, the Charger/Closer is called upon at times for assistance with escorting a student or instructor to their vehicle, addressing equipment problems in the facility or studios, or waiting until a student’s late ride arrives.
The Charger/Closer position is a part time position with a variable schedule to provide coverage 7 nights a week. Currently, this shift starts at 10:00 PM. Tuesday is Closing, and Thursday is Charging and Closing. Closing duties take 2 hrs. On nights when charging and closing, duties take 4 hours. Pratt generally has a team of two Charger/Closer’s. The position reports to the Glass Studio Technician.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS CLOSING
• Check-in with front desk staff to determine if there are any issues or concerns for the facility.
• Secure all exterior doors and gates in all three of Pratt’s buildings.
• Verify that exterior windows are closed and locked and that the studios, offices, and restrooms are vacant.
• Check thermostats and ventilation for appropriate settings based on current weather.
• Turn off lights where needed and close all interior doors.
• Assure that natural gas and propane supplies are shut off in the Hot Shop, Flame Shop, Forging Studio, and Jewelry Studios.
• Set the alarm systems in all three buildings.
• Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS CHARGING
• Determine if the glass furnace needs to be charged based on upcoming usage or predetermined charging schedule.
• Move the new batch into the building as needed.
• Sort and load any clear cullet for in-house recycling.
• Load new and/or recycled batch/cullet for each charging cycle.
• Run a charging program on the furnace controller.
• Clean up as necessary after charging the furnace.
• Ability to wear a respirator
• Reliability, punctuality, and the ability to work independently.
• Excellent communication and customer service skills.
• The ability to deal with unexpected problems and emergencies, technical or customer service.
• Flexible schedule including the ability to work a swing or graveyard shift.
• Ability to lift 75 pounds.
• Arts and hot shop background preferred.
Pratt Fine Arts Center is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Preferred candidates will be able to demonstrate an understanding of systemic oppression and the ability to apply an anti-racist lens to all work at Pratt. Black, Indigenous & People of Color (BIPoC) are encouraged to apply.