Half-Time Executive Director / Employment
April 30, 2022
Organization Name: Northwest Designer Craftsmen
Organization Location: WA, OR, ID, MT, AK
Background: Founded in 1954, NWDC works to promote excellence of design and craftsmanship and to stimulate public appreciation for and interest in fine craft. NWDC strives to promote diversity within our organization and provide equitable and inclusive opportunities for our staff, membership, and the public.
NWDC members include artists, arts advocates, educators, managers of arts organizations, gallerists, collectors, and curators of public and private collections who contribute to our projects and programs. Artist members work in clay, wood, glass, metal, fiber or mixed media from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska.
Our members give studio tours, demonstrations, and lectures; mentor emerging artists; and participate in leadership roles within our non-profit board lead organization. NWDC partners with prestigious Pacific Northwest art venues to provide exhibition opportunities for our juried artist members. NWDC also presents educational programs for our organization and the public and produces award-winning “Living Treasure” videos documenting Northwest fine craft emeritus luminaries.
Position Available: NWDC seeks a dynamic, visionary and experienced leader to serve as half-time Executive Director (ED) to advance the mission and agenda of the organization.
Responsibilities: The ED serves as the chief operating officer of NWDC, working closely with and reporting to the President and the Board of Directors. The ED is expected to attend all Board meetings, retreats and NWDC functions, in person or remotely, as appropriate.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The ED works with the Board to set and implement goals in the following areas:
1. Designs and implements programs supporting our membership, e.g., new NWDC web-based sales gallery
2. Represents NWDC by creating and nurturing partnerships, securing exhibition venues, and recruiting new members while supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion goals
3. Assists with programs, lectures, artist talks, exhibitions, newsletter publications, e-blasts, and video productions
4. Supports 70th anniversary exhibition planning and implementation for 2025
5. Brings NWDC volunteers together for short-term projects to support our goals
1. Ensures effective communication with membership by addressing their day-to-day needs and communicates with partners in the art community.
2. Interfaces with NWDC technology/web administrators
1. Facilitates day-to-day operations and fiscal management of NWDC, interfaces with bookkeeper, maintains fiscal controls, works with Treasurer to plan and report
2. Manages fund development through fundraising campaigns, estate gifts, grants, and other income generation
The applicant will be an innovative and entrepreneurial thinker who has:
1. At least 5 years of management experience
2. A proven record as a successful fundraiser
3. Outstanding oral and written communication skills
4. Solid skills with relevant technology applications
5. Strong planning, organizational and analytical skills
6. The ability to build consensus and work collaboratively to motivate and develop the Board, members and volunteers
Preferable but not mandatory criteria:
1. A college degree in a relevant field
2. Management experience in a nonprofit organization
3. Significant leadership experience in fine craft arts roles
4. Knowledge of and relationships in the Pacific Northwest fine craft art scene
5. Experience and education in the visual arts – preferably fine craft
Compensation: This is a salaried position. Salary range: $25,000 to $30,000 for half-time work, commensurate with experience. No benefits. Must be able to work remotely and willing to work annually with the Board president to arrange a flexible schedule organized around NWDC’s annual calendar, with adjustments for sick days and vacation schedule.
Procedure for Applying: Qualified candidates should e-mail a current resume’, together with a cover letter indicating your interest in the position including brief statements of your qualifications and three references to: Nancy Loorem Adams, Board President, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Current NWDC members are encouraged to apply. If selected, NWDC membership status will be suspended for the duration of the NWDC Executive Director contract.
Timeline: available on our site.