Metal Design and Drawing for Fabrication / Employment
January 25, 2024
Organization Name: Liz Larner Studio
Organization Location: Bellingham, WA
An established sculptor is seeking a creative and experienced designer to produce drawings for fabrication of mounts made of various metal and other materials. The designer will work closely with the Artist and studio team to develop and draw up plans for supports for sculptures. This role offers a distinct opportunity to work on unique aspects of singular artworks.
● Work within a team to develop forms in wood and metal for varying sculptural projects. Draw clear plans for fabrication.
● Troubleshoot the structural feasibility of wood and/or metal fabrication.
● Communicate and confer with other team members including Artist, Studio Manager, Ceramics Assistant, and Wood/Metals Assistant on design elements and collective problem solving to integrate the mount with all other aspects of the sculpture.
● Propose initial design and receive feedback and adjust as needed prior to producing completed shop drawings.
● Develops shop drawings for artworks or aspects of artworks. This process will be initiated in the studio with the artist and composed objects present to be measured and assessed in preparation for shop drawings. Drawings and design work may be completed remotely.
● Education and experience in object design.
● Knowledge of materials (especially metals and wood) including strength and load considerations.
● The candidate is self-motivated, reliable, trustworthy, and attentive to task completion and enjoys working in a creative environment while learning and developing new processes.
● Strong organizational and time management skills including the ability to prioritize and independently manage varied assignments.
● Proficiency in design software.
● Proficient in exercising discretion and confidentiality.
● Flexible availability and quick turn-around after initial meeting in studio.
● Mount making experience.
● Knowledge of wood properties & milling processes: air drying/green wood/kiln drying.
● Knowledge of pattern/mold making processes.
● Knowledge or experience with metal casting processes.
● Knowledge of plating, polishing, patinas and metalsmithing.
● Knowledge of environmentally sound materials and processes in a wood/metal shop.
● Ability to work on-site, in shared indoor and outdoor space with staff following guidelines in accordance with the health department and local ordinances.
Employment type: Project-based/part-time
Compensation: Starting pay is $25 an hour depending on skills assessed
Application: Please submit cover letter, resume and three professional references as one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
EmploymentEmployment In The ArtsMultidisciplinaryVisual