Mural for New Affordable Housing Project / Calls & Submissions
Plymouth Housing is searching for an artist to design a mural for our upcoming building at 2nd and Mercer. Plymouth Housing builds and manages permanent supportive housing for individuals who have experienced long-term homelessness. Plymouth is invested in not only serving the individuals who live in our housing, but also being an asset to the community surrounding our buildings. The mural provides an essential opportunity to engage with the neighborhood by creating a welcoming space enlivened by art chosen by a community committee.
The project at 2nd and Mercer is across the street from Seattle Center and will provide a new space for Path with Art. The mural will serve to tie our building to the larger community and the local arts context. We’re working with a committee of stakeholders on the selection process, which will also include community voting. Please see the Call for Artists document on our project webpage for more information about context.
At this stage, we are looking for artists to submit statements of interest and a selected portfolio; no design proposals will be accepted at this time. Three artists will be selected to develop a design proposal for a stipend of $1,000. The artist with the selected design will receive a $2,500 stipend to finalize the design, which will be converted into a paint by numbers system with Urban ArtWorks and painted by members of the community.
We are seeking a person or team who meet the following qualifications:
• Demonstrated experience with public art
• Aesthetic excellence in the design of completed projects
• Ability to respond to the particular geographic and programmatic context of this site
and the new building
• Consider the physical constraints of the site
• Interest in working with the community during community painting sessions
• Ability to work with an existing steering committee comprised of community
• The selection committee will also consider diversity and connection with the
context of the site as discussed above
Applications must include all of the following for consideration:
• Artist’s statement of interest, considering the context of the site and project to
state artist’s background, their interest in this project, and preliminary design ideas
• Digital materials of previous artworks, as a pdf attachment via e-mail or provide link
to website or portfolio (3-5 images with a max size of 2MB 72dpi)
• Resume(s) of artist(s)
• Three professional references
Plymouth values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Plymouth encourages people of
all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ
individuals, people with disabilities, veterans and those with diverse life experiences.
Email Qualifications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: 2nd and Mercer Mural Call for Artists
Mail Qualifications to:
Attn: Katie Randall
2113 3rd Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121