Office Manager and Editorial Assistant at Wave Books / Employment
June 19, 2023
Organization Name: Wave Books
Organization Location: Seattle, WA, Capitol Hill neighborhood
Wave Books is an independent press based in Seattle, dedicated to poetry and work by poets. We publish 10 to 12 titles per year, in beautifully crafted trade editions, as well as handmade ephemera, ebooks, and audiobooks. Our books represent an aesthetic range, though generally experimental, and we are fortunate to be able to work with many exciting contemporary poets and translators nationally and internationally. A full description of what we do, as well as a catalog of our titles and more information about the poets, can be found on our website linked below.
We are a small company looking for a publishing professional to join our staff who loves books, poetry, and small press publishing as much as we do, and who would enjoy working with us in our Seattle office. One of five employees at the press, the Office Manager and Editorial Assistant balances a wide variety of book-related tasks to support authors and to keep the day-to-day operations of the press running smoothly. Some examples of specific job responsibilities include:
• Coordinating activities, supplies, and technology resources in Wave’s Seattle office, maintaining a vibrant and inviting space.
• Communicating with people outside of Wave about a range of needs in relation to the press, such as submissions, desk copies, donations, customer service/orders, and other topics.
• Hiring, training, and managing interns.
• Helping to coordinate onsite readings or lectures, bookbinding and ephemera-making events, or book-related exhibits in the space.
• Tabling at book fairs and literary festivals (such as Short Run or AWP).
• Assisting with editorial projects, fielding queries, proofreading and fact-checking, manuscript preparation, and reading galleys, as well as digital and physical archiving projects.
• Overseeing inventory, handling incoming mailings, and coordinating with offsite warehouses to make sure that books are in stock where they need to be.
• 2 to 5 years in an office or other professional environment, preferably with some supervisory or project management experience
• Bachelor’s degree, or other equivalent work experience that demonstrates a sustained interest in poetry, publishing, or bookselling
• Knowledge of contemporary poetry, with some knowledge of Wave Books and/or other small presses
• Experience in Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, Shopify/ HTML a plus
Candidates with strong organizational and communication skills, a proven ability to balance multiple divergent tasks within deadlines, and an enthusiastic dedication to books and especially poetry will be successful in this position.
For full-time positions, we offer health and PTO benefits and a flexible/hybrid work schedule (though this position is primarily in office).
Interested applicants should email a short letter telling us about your interest in poetry or small press publishing, with CV and list of three references, using the subject line “Office Manager and Editorial Assistant,” to email@example.com.
EmploymentFree To ApplyFTESeattle