Office Manager/Bookkeeper / Employment
March 31, 2022
Organization Name: Pilchuck Glass School
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
Full time, year-round exempt status
ABOUT PILCHUCK GLASS SCHOOL
Pilchuck Glass School (PGS) is an international center for glass art education. Our serene campus in Stanwood, Washington is nestled in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains in the middle of 15,000 acres of a working tree farm. PGS is located an hour north of Seattle and maintains an administrative office in the city’s historic Pioneer Square.
From May through September every year, our summer and fall program offers a series of courses as well as residencies for established artists in all media. Summer sessions vary in length and offer concurrent courses in a variety of glass working processes for artists of all skill levels. Small classes taught by world-renowned artists and instructors emphasize experimentation and teamwork while fostering individual initiative and expression. PGS also offers residencies for both emerging and established artists during the fall and spring. Increasingly, PGS is introducing new programming to populations that have traditionally lacked access to this type of educational experience.
Additional information available at pilchuck.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reports to: Executive Director
The Office Manager/Bookkeeper will serve as an integral part of the organization, working cross-departmentally to help support the administrative and financial functions of the organization. This position is based in Seattle with occasional travel to campus in Stanwood, WA, as well as to board meetings and conferences outside of Seattle. The Office Manager/Bookkeeper position requires skills of collaboration, high attention to detail, organization, strong communication, ability to handle confidential information, and flexibility to assume a range of activities. This position will also be responsible for maintaining accounting records for PGS, working cross-departmentally, as well as with external vendors and service providers. The ideal candidate must be proficient in QuickBooks. Salary range is $55,000-$65,000 (DOE) with standard benefits package, retirement eligibility after six months, vacation, and sick leave.
Office Manager Position Responsibilities (50%):
• Provides support to the Executive Director, including scheduling and arranging meetings and overseeing logistics, arranging travel itineraries, and organizing documents for business trips.
• Acts as main point of contact for board of trustees’ communications and logistics including:
o Maintaining rosters and mailing list for Board of Trustees and Board Committees
o Arranging board meetings including travel and preparation of meeting materials
o Maintaining corporate records for agendas, notices, minutes, and other documents
o Attending board meetings to manage logistics and take minutes
o Updating and maintaining board portal
• Provides administrative support including:
o Purchasing/maintaining office supplies and managing those vendor relationships
o Troubleshooting office equipment including postage meter, copier, phone system, and AV tools used for meetings
o Notifying the landlord of office issues and following up on resolution
o Ensuring record retention policies are followed regarding all office records (paper and electronic)
• Prioritizing and managing multiple work streams simultaneously while meeting critical deadlines
• Maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
• Undertakes other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Deputy Director
Bookkeeper Position Responsibilities (50%):
• General Ledger maintenance work including managing the chart of accounts and program codes, posting of semi-monthly and seasonal payroll, month-end and year-end journal entries
• Accounts Receivable: cash receipts processing (cash, check, credit card) including donations, application and tuition payments, event revenues, and campus store and gallery sales via multiple payment processors
• Reconciliation of accounting records, Accounts Receivable and all bank accounts
• Accounts Payable including vendor file maintenance, vouchering and obtaining approval of invoices, generation of checks or initiation of wires or automated payments, seasonal honorariums and stipends, and annual 1099 preparation
• Identify, recommend, and implement new financial processes and procedures
• Reconciliation and payment of organization credit cards
• Manage payroll for Full Time and Seasonal staff
• Provide timely and accurate reports to other departments as requested
• Prepare and submit state and local agency filings and excise/sales monthly tax returns
• Work closely with outside contracted Controller
• Insurance and benefit enrollment and unenrollment for employees
• 401k plan and FSA management and filings
• Other duties as assigned
• Strong experience with general ledger (QuickBooks) and payroll processing (ADP)
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with an ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
• Ability to manage multiple deadlines and prioritize work
• Detail-oriented and organized
• Willingness to improve and establish better systems to manage financial processes
• Technology-savvy including expertise in MS Office, databases (Raisers Edge preferred)
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
• Must have close vision to read and write on paper, computers, and mobile devices
• The ability to walk, ascend and descend stairs and ramps in the office and on campus
• The ability to periodically travel to our Stanwood campus (one hour north of Seattle)
Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis starting March 7, 2022, with the last day to apply on Thursday, March 31, 2022. Email resume, cover letter addressing relevant experience, and contact information for three references to Donna Davies, Deputy Director, at email@example.com. The email subject line should say “Office Manager/Bookkeeper, [Your Name].” All attached files must be labeled that also include your last name.
Pilchuck Glass School is committed to inclusion and equal opportunity.
Pilchuck Glass School is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and participants. Pilchuck encourages all interested persons to apply regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, veteran, or disability status.