On-Call Preparator/Art Handler / Employment
January 24, 2022
Organization Name: Henry Art Gallery
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
The On-Call Preparator / Art Handler is responsible for assisting in the safe and efficient internal movement, housing, and installation of collections and loan objects. The On-Call Preparator / Art Handler is a temporary, part-time position. The position is most active during installation and de-installation of museum exhibitions. This position works as part of a team in Exhibitions, as well as closely with staff from other departments and outside contractors.
SPECIAL NOTE: All Henry employees, as University of Washington affiliates, must provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or declare a medical or religious exemption. This is in accordance with Governor Inslee’s proclamation 21-14.1.
STATUS: Part-time, temporary/on-call
HOURLY RATE: $20
SCHEDULE: On-Call, Tuesday – Friday. Current expected work dates are:
• February 8 – 18
• March 1 – March 4
• March 8 – April 1
REPORTS TO: Manager of Exhibitions and Registration
• Assist in the preparation, installation, and de-installation of objects for exhibitions, including matting and framing, and construction of mounts
• Assist in construction of housing for art objects
• Assist in the processes of proper art handling methods, and art storage practices
• Assists in maintaining lighting in exhibition spaces, including changing lamps and transformers as needed; ensuring that lamps are properly focused
• Performs additional duties as assigned
This position frequently lifts or otherwise handles large and sometimes heavy objects, operates construction tools, and operates heavy machinery.
• Demonstrated experience (typically a minimum of 2 years) handling art, preferably in a museum setting
• Experience in the safe operation and maintenance of a variety of hand and power tools, hydraulic lifts, fork and scissor lifts
• Ability to read and follow diagrams and schematics
• Must be able to work collaboratively within a team; work independently when given a task
• Must be flexible, detail-oriented, with excellent communication skills
• Experience with handling, installing, and mounting a variety of 2-dimenstional and 3-dimensional art objects
• Knowledge of installation materials and techniques and fine art packing
• Experience in the safe operation and maintenance of a variety of hand and power tools, hydraulic lifts, and fork and scissor lifts
• Basic woodworking skills is a plus
Diverse backgrounds make us stronger. We highly encourage Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQ+, and individuals of all abilities to apply.
APPLY: To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Applications for this position are always accepted, and are reviewed on a rolling basis year-round.