On the Boards Seeks Communications & Digital Media Manager / Employment
July 31, 2020
Organization Name: On the Boards
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
On the Boards Seeks Communications & Digital Media Manager
On the Boards, Seattle’s home for contemporary dance, theater and multidisciplinary performance, seeks a strong communicator and authentic storyteller, well-versed in social and digital media data and analytics, to become our Communications & Digital
Media Manager. This person is detail-oriented, creative, and has fresh ideas that will help On the Boards grow attendance, engagement, and participation.
Status: Regular full time, non-exempt.
Reports to: Director of External Relations
Collaborates: Executive Director, Artistic Director, External Relations and Curatorial teams, and contracted Designer.
Compensation: $41,000 – 43,000 commensurate with experience
On the Boards is a 40-year-old arts organization located in Seattle, Washington. The organization owns and operates the Behnke Center for Contemporary Performance, located in Seattle’s Lower Queen Anne neighborhood. The facility includes multiple art and performances spaces, including the 300-seat Merrill Wright Theater, a flexible
Studio Theater, and four rented retail spaces.
OtB has repeatedly been the first art center in our region to introduce audiences to the world’s most forward-thinking artists like Spalding Gray, Bebe Miller, Phillipe Quesne,
The Wooster Group, Reggie Watts, Gisele Vienne, David Byrne, Laurie Anderson, Pat
Graney, Crystal Pite, zoe|juniper, Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker, Dayna Hanson, and
Dani Tirrell. This extraordinary roster of artists, among many others, have played a vital role in On the Boards’ history and its reputation in the field as one of the best places in the country to develop, perform, and view contemporary performance.
On the Boards operates with a $1.3 million budget and a staff of 12. Our programming includes regional and international commissions and performance presentations, in addition to new initiatives that center a diversity of artists and ideas. We also run
OntheBoards.tv, an online publishing platform for ground-breaking artistic projects and contemporary performances and is used in all 50 states, 157 countries, and by thousands of students at over 125 universities worldwide.
On the Boards has a well-earned reputation for hitting above its weight.
Organization Mission and Values
On the Boards invests in leading contemporary performing artists near and far, and connects them to a diverse range of communities interested in forward-thinking art and ideas.
We believe if we are successful in our work that we can grow our field, enrich people’s lives, and contribute to civic and global dialogues.
• artistic risks while being fiscally responsible;
• leadership in our field and the multiple communities we serve to strategically advance the role contemporary artists play in society;
• racial and social equity, and accountability;
• provocative art as a vehicle to connect people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives;
• our regional creative community as we engage with international artists and peers;
• professional and transparent management.
On the Boards Workplace Culture
On the Boards honors collaboration, respect, humor, and the humanity of its employees,
Board members, and volunteers. We regularly acknowledge that life happens, friends and family are important, and that working in a small non-profit is much better with hard- working colleagues. On the Boards is made up, at every level, of individuals who collaborate to solve organizational challenges, represent our work in the community, and otherwise move our work forward in ways big and small.
On the Boards is committed to becoming an anti-racist organization, and we acknowledge that we have personal, professional, and institutional work to do in order to become more racially just and equitable. We are looking for team members who are excited to work collaboratively to advance anti-racist policies and engage in ongoing learning around that work. If you have questions about where we are in our process of undoing racism and inequity in our organization, we are happy to share past and current documentation.
Communications & Digital Media Manager
The Communications and Digital Media Manager drives the creation and implementation of On the Boards communications and storytelling activities through engaging content and intuitive web experiences that build a greater awareness of OtB’s mission, values, and our creative work with contemporary artists. They ensure that the media, the field, our community, and the public know who we are, what we do, what sets us apart, and why that matters.
The Communications & Digital Media Manager will work closely with the External
Relations team, OtB’s contracted Designer, and outside vendors to complete their work.
They will be responsible for day-to-day marketing project management, budget support and reconciliation, and social and paid media strategy and implementation. This position requires weekly data analysis and reporting review, daily calendar oversight, and ongoing work to build engaging, eye catching, and unique content in a voice that is consistent with OtB’s mission and values. The ideal candidate will enjoy crafting communication that messages and integrates OtB’s many program initiatives, as well as creating a holistic and evolving approach to telling the stories of our organization and the artists we are invested in with our broader community and audiences.
• Collaborate with the External Relations team and Designer to create artist centered content rooted in the voices and experiences of our constituency.
• Collect and aggregate data from different sources to build a system that evaluates the effectiveness and reach of On the Boards communications strategies and its relation to revenue, attendance, membership, and community engagement.
• Develop marketing and communication tools that expressly serve a racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse audience and community.
• Collaborate with the External Relations and Curatorial teams to regularly identify and prioritize institutional news, programs, and special events, as well as additional information useful to the community at large.
• Manage and execute communications efforts for the organization, including blog/website content, e-newsletter and regular e-blasts, social media engagement, and other communication platforms.
• Create and manage a marketing calendar to ensure regular communications to a variety of constituents throughout the year.
• Manage MailChimp email lists and work with other External Relations team members to maintain up-to-date records in the Patron Manager database.
• Manage the production of program booklets for performances by gathering content from the External Relations and Curatorial departments, laying out content in pre-approved templates, and printing and photocopying in time for performances.
• Use templates to generate flyers and signage around the building to notify audiences of upcoming programs and other building updates and news.
• Proofread any marketing communications for accuracy and ensure materials adhere to brand standards.
• Create visually engaging, artist centered, social media content
• Manage OtB’s websites (ontheboards.org and ontheboards.tv): build and edit content; working cross-departmentally to ensure information is timely and accurate; measuring and reporting analytics; and monitoring and implementing
• Using data from social media and Google analytics to track, evaluate, and report impact of content and campaigns in digital media channels.
• Develop a cross-platform content strategy.
Advertising & Marketing
• Develop and execute campaigns that respond to both short- and long-term strategic goals.
• Develop and place media buys; negotiate advertising contracts and secure media sponsorships.
• Coordinate direct mail projects with Designer, colleagues, vendors, and post office.
• Measure, evaluate, and report impact of content and campaigns.
• An interest in contemporary performance art.
• Creativity and the ability to develop original cross-platform content within the OtB brand narrative.
• Strong project management skills and a passion for problem solving, creative thinking, and resourcefulness.
• Comfortability analyzing digital data to draw key recommendations around website optimization.
• Familiarity with HTML and the ability to update information on our Drupal-based websites.
• Capable of working both independently and collaboratively.
• Ability to monitor key online marketing metrics and conduct regular social media audits to track success and ensure best practices are being used.
• Proficiency in video and image editing software including Adobe InDesign.
• Ability to manage project budgets, including tracking expenses and receipts.
If your skills do not meet all the qualifications listed above, tell us why you would be an excellent fit anyway, we’d love to hear from you.
Due to COVID-19 health restrictions this job will begin working from home exclusively.
Due to typical evening and weekend performance schedules this position may include flexibility in scheduling outside the typical workweek. A balance of possible WFH and in-
office flexibility may be discussed even after the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
Eligible for medical, vision, and dental insurance as well as short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment and life insurance. Additional benefits include a transportation subsidy and/or parking pass and generous paid time off including 12 holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
On the Boards is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse, accessible workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. We are committed to removing barriers to employment that are faced by equity-seeking groups. Our building and offices are ADA accessible and we will make additional workplace and interview accommodations by request. People of color, people with disabilities, womxn, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Must have, or be willing to acquire, legal authorization to work in the United States.
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com with the subject line: “Communications and Digital Media Search”
Date Posted: July 1, 2020,
Interviews: beginning July 22, 2020.
Desired Start Date: August 2020
This position will remain open until filled.