OPEN CALL FOR KUNSTRAUM CURATOR-IN-RESIDENCE 2020-2021 / Calls & Submissions
May 15, 2020
Organization Name: Kunstraum LLC
Organization Location: Brooklyn, NY
Type: Calls & Submissions
KUNSTRAUM is excited to announce our Curator-in-Residence (CIR) program.
The CIR will be directing KUNSTRAUM’s gallery program for 12 months – be able to develop and present their vision, and to expand and spotlight their curatorial practice in the New York art world. The goal of the CIR program is to facilitate exhibitions and events to engage our community while also encouraging invited curators, artists, and other guests to collaborate, think critically, and take risks in their practices. The CIR residency starts June 2020.
Responsibilities of the CIR:
– Curating of one independent exhibition in addition to the member summer show
– Organize one event per exhibition, e.g. performance, discussion, walkthrough
– Oversee the planning, collection of key information and media materials
– Attend all openings, e.g. greet visitors, communicate artwork, assist with set up/ take down
– With the support of KUNSTRAUM’s team: press and social media work, installations, and showings, open studios, networking, advertisement, member onboarding, community events
– 10 hrs of commitment per week, 24/7 access to the space, no stipend or housing
– Commission on art sales and artist memberships
This program is a self-starter for innovative and ambitious minds that thrive from creative freedom, take leadership and are interested in working within an established artist-run gallery space’s mission while bringing a new and unique curatorial vision to the program. KUNSTRAUM offers team support and encourages the CIR to apply for additional exhibition funding (if desired) of foundations and organizations of KUNSTRAUM’s network as well as to benefit from pre-existing relationships to press, foundations, art fairs, curators, collectors.
– Experience curating, organizing and installing visual art exhibitions and events
– Knowledge of art history and contemporary art issues, exhibitions, and artists
– Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
– Ability to comply with deadlines, budgets and timely communication
– Excellent communication skills, attention to detail and overall precision
– Self-driven, highly organized, smart time and resource management
– Contact information (first and last name, email, address, telephone)
– Work samples (website or portfolio of 10-20 pages)
– Professional resume or CV
– Curatorial Statement (~200 words)
Tell us about you. What issues are you seeking to address through your work?
What is your vision for 12 months as the CIR? How do you plan to engage the Kunstraum’s community and other audiences?
-Exhibition Proposal (~200 words)
Describe one specific project that is ready to be shown and/or you plan on developing further. Be specific about the stage of the project. Include images, links, web sites.
– Writing sample, one published article or other writing sample (250-500 words)
– Name, email, and telephone number of two professional references
Please submit all materials through the Google Form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdPDyqNqhxR9MC0GDfsPA_eO1EDkGbDlaDdwVPdF92dVnpwFg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1
KUNSTRAUM is born out of a necessity to foster collaboration between artists, architects, curators, designers, filmmakers and writers and features excellent studio locations, networking, research opportunities and discourse for creative production. After successfully inaugurating our first space in New York as of February 2015, we seek to expand to Berlin in 2021. KUNSTRAUM’s global identity is designed to offer and promote international community, mobility and visibility in the visual arts. Recent press coverage includes Communication Arts, Creator’s Project, Huffington Post, Artnet News, Interview Magazine, Art F City and Artnet News. With Video Shop a project at NADA New York, Kunstraum won 2016’s Artspace Fairgoers Award and best booth, and also participated in Untitled, Art Miami.
Calls & SubmissionsCalls And SubmissionsCalls For ArtistsCuratorResidence