Outdoor Sculpture Gallery: Puyallup / Calls & Submissions
January 24, 2021
Organization Name: Arts Downtown
Organization Location: Puyallup, WA
Type: Calls & Submissions
Fee: No Fee
CALL TO ARTISTS
Arts Downtown, Puyallup’s Outdoor Sculpture Gallery, invites you to participate in our 2021—2023 rotating gallery exhibit.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES
January 24, 2021
NO ENTRY FEE
Info at: www.artsdowntown.org
ARTS DOWNTOWN, in partnership with the City of Puyallup, is pleased to announce the opening of its twentieth rotating gallery exhibit in 2021. This public art program invites artists to exhibit works in the Puyallup community for a two-year period. Up to five works will be chosen from among those submitted for inclusion in the 2021-23 rotating gallery.
There are currently 49 works on display in the City of Puyallup’s permanent gallery.
SUBMITTED WORKS WILL BE EVALUATED BASED ON FOUR CRITERIA:
•Aesthetics – Characteristics such as being compelling, original, approachable, skillful, and satisfying.
•Durability – The work must be able to fair well for two years outdoors, in all kinds of weather, in an accessible, unregulated public space? Each work must pass inspection prior to installation.
•Safety – Does it have features that could cause injury to a person coming in contact with it? Would it invite climbing or other inappropriate interaction?
•Suitability – This has two parts, one is whether the work would fit into our intensively occupied and utilized downtown core. The other is whether it would be appropriate for viewing by our general population.
ARTISTS WHOSE WORK IS SELECTED for the 2021-2023 rotating gallery will be requested to sign an agreement with the City of Puyallup and Arts Downtown.
ALL ART MUST BE FOR SALE. Arts Downtown will receive a 10% commission on any art sold. Artworks that are sold may not be removed from the gallery until the exhibit period is complete.
PROGRAM BENEFITS TO ARTISTS – Arts Downtown offers:
• 26 years of outdoor gallery experience.
• Promotion of the Rotating Gallery through education and special events within the Community, and advertising throughout the Pacific Northwest.
• Full color brochures with a map of the gallery.
• Guided mobile tour with “OnCell” technology and links to artists’ websites
• Website gallery display and “Community Favorite” voting at www.artsdowntown.org
• A $2,000 stipend will be paid to the artist of each selected work
• An additional $2,000 will be paid to the winner of the “Community Favorite” award
• Arts Downtown advertises in USA Today Summer Travel Edition, Sunset Magazine, Washington Visitor’s Guide, Portland Monthly, 1889, Preview, Northwest Sinfonietta, South Sound Magazine and KNKX Radio.
• Please do not submit works that are on display or are scheduled to be on display in any location within 60 miles of downtown Puyallup during our 2021-23 rotating gallery period, as these will not be accepted. Any work that we have accepted that is duplicated in another location during the rotating gallery period will be disqualified from the “People’s Choice” award.
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS REQUIRED IN ORDER FOR YOUR ENTRY TO BE CONSIDERED:
APPLICATION FORM: A completed application form must be submitted for each work entered.
RESUME: a current resume that includes day/evening/cell phone, email, website and postal address.
BIOGRPHY: A statement that best describes yourself. This will be used for accepted works on ADT’s website and OnCell mobile tour.
ARTIST’S STATEMENT: A statement that lays out your general philosophy or approach to your work that is suitable for publication.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: Describe the specific piece you have submitted (inspiration, technical challenges, anecdotes) particular to each entry
IMAGES: An electronic image of each entry is required. JPEG format is much preferred. Images embedded in the text of a message will not be accepted.
INSURANCE: Artists must insure for property damage up to $5,000. City of Puyallup will insure for amounts above $5,000.
All completed entries MUST be received by Arts Downtown, Art Selection Committee by
January 24, 2021. NO EXCEPTIONS
Completed applications may be submitted to Art Selection Committee Chair David De Groot at
Winner notification will be made in February by personal phone call, to be followed by email
confirmation. Email notification to all other entrants will follow.
ARTS DOWNTOWN ENTRY FORM – (please use a separate entry form for each entry)
Telephone: (_______) __________________________ (______) ________________________________
Email: _______________________________________ Website:_________________________________
Title of Work: _________________________________________________________________________
Weight: _________________________ Dimensions: ___________H x ___________W x ____________D
MOUNTING INFORMATION: Our bases and pedestals have steel tops. The sculpture must have a ¼” thick steel base attached that can be spot welded during installation. Bronze sculptures must have a ¼” thick STAINLESS STEEL base.
ARTS DOWNTOWN CALENDAR
January 24, 2021 Entries Due
February 14, 2021 Artists Notified
April 25, 2021 Installation Day
January 2023 Announcement of Community Favorite
April 30. 2023 Art Removal
Send to David De Groot, Art Selection Committee Chair at
Calls & SubmissionsCalls And SubmissionsCalls For ArtistsPublic ArtSculptureVisual