Part-Time Glassfusing Instructor / Employment
April 10, 2022
Organization Name: Pratt Fine Arts Center
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
Pratt Fine Arts Center is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Fusing Instructor to join our dynamic team. The Fusing Instructor is responsible for creating engaging curriculum and learning experiences for Pratt students in Fusing Studio. Responsibilities will include teaching Beginning Glass Fusing class and an occasional special topics class, such as Hands-on experience class and Holiday ornament creation class. Must be able to
clearly communicate technical information to students while maintaining a safe classroom environment. Commitment to fostering a universally welcoming and respectful environment, with centering racial equity as Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) is a core value at Pratt. Instructors will be responsible for preparing their own supplies for class.
Pratt Fine Arts Center is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Preferred candidates will be able to demonstrate an understanding of systemic oppression and the ability to apply an anti-racist lens to all work at Pratt. Black, Indigenous & People of Color (BIPoC) are encouraged to apply.
● Ability to develop and facilitate engaging Glass Fusing courses that incorporate a balance of experiences including demonstration, lecture, discussion and independent work time
● Proficiency leading and connecting with students in an intimate class setting of 3 to 5 adults at various skill levels and abilities.
● Strong organizational skills, relevant to class preparation and administrative tasks.
● Timely communication in email correspondence, deadlines, turning in waivers, reimbursements, class evaluations, incident reports, etc.
● Competence in working independently to prep class supplies.
● Create class hand-outs and/or informational signage that support beginning students in learning key terms, Glass Fusing process and using the equipment in the Fusing Studio.
● Willingness to help build consistency in the Pratt glass program by aligning to common maintenance and organizational studio norms.
● Collaborate with other instructors to maintain consistency in the Glass studio curriculum.
● Punctuality, respect, and adherence to guidelines for maintaining shared studio and storage spaces.
● Ability to stay current on and share opportunities for students such as Studio Access, and scholarship opportunities.
● Share Pratt’s broader mission with students: a quick tour through all the studios, highlighting the contribution of namesake Edwin T. Pratt, racial equity core values, and other supplied talking points as provided.
● Adherence to Pratt policies and Glass Studio procedures
● Prior experience teaching Fusing classes and workshops.
● Broad knowledge of Fusing-related topics, trends, processes, and skills
● Ability to lend sample objects for on-campus exhibition spaces.
● Engagement in the wider glass-art or creative communities
● Familiarity with the Central Area, local arts organizations, or related institutions
● Competence in serving diverse populations
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
$32/hr. Instructor benefits include a master membership, discounts on art supplies & framing, and continuing education vouchers for Pratt classes.
Please send following to Glass Studio Manager, Fumi Amano at firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls or drop-ins please.
⚫ Cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications. In addition, please include experience with DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) initiatives or experience working with communities of color
⚫ Three (3) embedded images of your Fusing piece
⚫ Two (2) professional references
Priority consideration given to applications received by Sunday, April 10th. Position is open until filled.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Pratt Fine Arts Center is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, membership or educational programs and activities. Furthermore, Pratt Fine Arts Center is committed to retaining a racially diverse
team. Black, Indigenous, & People of Color (BIPoC) are encouraged to apply.