Preparator/Art Handler / Employment
November 10, 2021
Organization Name: The Henry Art Gallery
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
The Preparator / Art Handler is responsible for assisting in the safe and efficient internal movement, housing, and installation of collections and loan objects. The position is most active during installation and de-installation of museum exhibitions. This position works as part of a team in Exhibitions, as well as closely with staff from other departments and outside contractors.
STATUS: Regular part-time, FLSA non-exempt, non-benefitted
PAY: $20 per hour
SCHEDULE: 19 hours per week
REPORTS TO: Manager of Exhibitions and Registration
• Assist in the preparation, installation, and de-installation of objects for exhibitions, including matting and framing, and construction of mounts
• Assist in construction of housing for art objects
• Assist in the processes of proper art handling methods, and art storage practices
• Assists in maintaining lighting in exhibition spaces, including changing lamps and transformers as needed; ensuring that lamps are properly focused
• Performs additional duties as assigned
This position frequently lifts or otherwise handles large and sometimes heavy objects, operates construction tools, and operates heavy machinery.
• Demonstrated experience (typically a minimum of 2 years) handling art, preferably in a museum setting
• Experience in the safe operation and maintenance of a variety of hand and power tools, hydraulic lifts, fork and scissor lifts
• Ability to read and follow diagrams and schematics
• Must be able to work collaboratively within a team; work independently when given a task
• Must be flexible, detail-oriented, with excellent communication skills
• Experience with handling, installing, and mounting a variety of 2-dimenstional and 3-dimensional art objects
• Knowledge of installation materials and techniques and fine art packing
• Experience in the safe operation and maintenance of a variety of hand and power tools, hydraulic lifts, and fork and scissor lifts
• Basic woodworking skills is a plus
Diverse backgrounds make us stronger. We highly encourage Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQ+, and individuals of all abilities to apply.
APPLY: Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Your materials combined into one PDF is preferred. Applications received by 11/10/2021 will be considered first. No phone calls please.