Regional Emerging Artist Residency / Residencies
Regional Emerging Artist Residency
Call for January – June 2020 | Due Tuesday October 1 2019
View Current Prospectus
Since 2000, the Artspace Regional Emerging Artist Residency has provided emerging visual artists time and space to explore their work in a supportive and thriving open studio environment in our historic building in downtown Raleigh, NC.
Past Regional Emerging Artists in Residence
Every six months, Artspace selects up to two artists to participate in the six-month residency. Resident artists receive 24-hour access to a private rent-free studio. The Residency includes a one-month solo exhibition at Artspace.
During the Residency, artists benefit from opportunities for professional development and collaboration with peers. Residents actively contribute to Artspace’s artistic and educational programming by participating in First Friday and being available for studio visits + tours. Residents are also required to give a presentation, artist talk and/or demonstration to the public to coincide with their residency or exhibition.
Artspace strives to be fully accessible to artists with disabilities. Artspace’s facilities are fully accessible and we encourage all artists to consider submitting for our residency opportunities. If you have any questions or concerns about the program’s accessibility please contact Annah Lee at 919.821.2787 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Artspace’s Emerging Artist Residencies are available to promising artists in their formative years committed to advancing their own work and professional careers.
2. Artists must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents over 18 years of age and must currently reside in the Southeast (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia).
3. Artists working in most mediums will be considered, including experimental media; however, artists working with toxic materials, hazardous machinery, etc. will not be considered due to limitations within the building.
4. Artists must not be enrolled in an institutional program of study, including instructional museum programs, during the residency period. (Applicants may be in school during application process.)
5. Artists must be ready to enjoy working in an open studio setting where the public is able to interact with the artist during public hours. Artists must work in the studio a minimum of 15 hours per week.
Please submit the following:
1. Professional Resume. PDF. 2 pages or less. File titled Lastname-Firstname_Resume.pdf
2. Artist Statement. PDF. Please address how receiving the residency will impact your career (not to exceed 1 page or 250 words). File titled Lastname-Firstname_Statement.pdf
3. 2 Letters of Recommendation. PDF. Files titled Lastname-Firstname_Letter#.pdf
4. Images/Videos. See below for image details.
5. Image List. PDF. An annotated image list accompanying digital images/videos with title of work, media, size, and year completed. File titled Lastname-Firstname_List.pdf
6. Nonrefundable fee of $25. Make check or money order payable to Artspace. Do not send cash.
VIDEOS (if relevant)
Video submissions should adhere to the following criteria:
1. 5-minute maximum.
2. A minimum of 3 videos (can be segments of longer works) completed within the last 2 years.
3. MPEG-4, AVI, or MOV file formats only.
4. All videos must be saved using a file name and number that corresponds to the annotated image list.
5. Files titled Lastname-Firstname_Video#
Images submitted should adhere to the following criteria:
1. 10 digital images of works completed within the past 2 years.
2. Images must be in JPEG format. 300dpi maximum.
3. All images must be saved using a file name and number that corresponds to the annotated image list.
4. Files titled Lastname-Firstname_Image#
Email your files to Brett Morris, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com, subject line “Regional Residency.”
October 1, 2019 for January – June 2020 residency
All applications must be submitted along with a non-refundable $25 application fee.
You may send a check or money order – made payable to Artspace, Inc. – to 201 E Davie St, Raleigh, NC 27601.
You may also submit payment online here.
Annah Lee, Director of Artistic Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org, 919.821.2787