Security Officer / Employment
October 9, 2022
Organization Name: MoPOP
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
We’re really glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP! We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a range of people, no matter our differences in race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, education, socio-economic status, ethnicity, country of origin, or any other characteristic that makes us who we are. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact.
MoPOP provides both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from any background to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is actively committed to ongoing learning in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). In partnership with our community, we hope to also develop safe spaces for their application. This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and encourage BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals to apply. We acknowledge that our work to build safe spaces and better systems for traditionally marginalized groups is ongoing and will require constant vigilance and expect all MoPOP employees to be part of our DEIA journey.
This position supports our day shift operations. This role works from early to mid-morning to mid to late afternoon. This position performs security operations of a multi-site security program for the museum to insure adequate, effective coverage of security needs during their scheduled shifts. It acts as liaison to both internal and external contacts, including museum guests, employees, event attendees, business vendors, contracted staff, local police, fire, and other public safety-related entities.
Security Officers promote a positive guest experience while applying museum policies, ensuring that the guests’ first and last impression of Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP) is memorable, reflecting museum core values.
Essential Job Duties (other duties as assigned):
• Perform shift security operations for museum facilities.
• Monitor security systems and building controls, dispatch information to appropriate personnel.
• Monitor security surveillance systems, building automation systems and/or security and fire alarm controls.
• Perform rounds, secure areas, and provide directional information to guests.
• Provide event security services for rentals, internal, and external special events.
• Write incident, accident, and unusual occurrence reports.
• Make security observations and recommendations to security leadership team members.
• Interact with other museum departments in the routine course of security activities.
• Greet, escort, assist guests’ needs to provide high quality guest services as trained.
• Support our internal culture which inspires and empowers our staff to live our mission to its highest standards.
• Contribute to a consistent customer service standard across all departments.
• Work to ensure customer service is ingrained at the core of the team and is reflected outward to our guests and other staff.
• Commitment to participating in anti-racism work, learning about the ways institutional racism impacts the workplace, and embedding and operationalizing DEIA strategies in the department and within this role.
• A minimum of one year of security experience in a public interactive setting, including experience in; facility, crowd management and event security or a minimum two years of strong customer service experience preferred.
• High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends.
• Able to assume high levels of responsibility and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to handle stress and stay focused, even-tempered, and congenial.
• Excellent communication skills required to ensure exceptional service for both the public & internal guests.
• Ability to work effectively in a collaborative and diverse team environment.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to manage a continuous workflow in a high volume, high expectation environment.
• Strong interest in the popular culture topics presented at Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP), including but not limited to music, film, television, and digital media.
• Genetec experience a plus.
This full-time position includes a generous benefits package that we will share during the hiring process.
Reasonable accommodations may be made during the application or hiring process upon request, please contact jobs@MoPOP.org.