Seeks Communications & Social Media Manager / Employment
September 1, 2019
Organization Name: Glass Art Society
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
Who we are:
The Glass Art Society is an international non-profit membership organization founded in 1971 whose purpose is to encourage excellence, to advance education, to promote the appreciation and development of the glass arts, and to support the worldwide community of artists who work with glass. The Society strives to stimulate communication among artists, educators, students, collectors, gallery and museum personnel, art critics, manufacturers, and all others interested in and involved with the production, technology, and aesthetics of glass. We are dedicated to creating greater public awareness and appreciation of the glass arts.
This is a full-time position and reports to the Executive Director
Compensations is $45,750 – 48,500
• Excited to be the voice of the Glass Art Society!
• Research and develop content for internal and external publications
• Schedule, coordinate, edit, and oversee production and timelines of internal publications including the quarterly GASnews, pre-conference brochure, conference program book, conference Journal, collateral materials, special event materials, digital catalogues (e.g., emerging artists, online exhibitions); other publications as assigned; ensure all publications meet established standards as to appearance and content
• Write periodic articles for trade partners and manage the relationships
• Obtain cost estimates, collaborate in the selection of, and oversee graphic design contractor and printer
• Work with the Executive Director to determine, and ensure the proper use of, the organization’s story-telling, branding, and style continuity
• Create a comprehensive communications plan and social media strategy to promote the organization and its programs
• Coordinate Member Monday, the Monthly Digest, and GAS Instagram Takeovers
• Evaluate, manage, and contribute to a variety of social media channels to achieve organizational objectives and ensure a consistent marketing message that strengthens GAS’s image through a vibrant and compelling online presence
• Coordinate and drive the organization’s general and conference publicity, e.g., press releases, press kits, advertising, general promotional materials, etc.
• Coordinate ad sales for GASnews, the conference program book, the Journal, and the website; solicit potential advertisers and vendor partners
• Serve as staff representative on the Digital, Print, and History committees; maintain minutes of committee meetings and drive committee projects
• Other duties as assigned
• Work with the Technology + Conference Assistant to create conference signage
• Act as main POC for Tech Display vendors developing the communications schedule and materials including advertising opportunities
• Work with the Technology & Conference Assistant to layout and manage Tech Display
• Act as the press contact for the conference
• Work with the Digital Committee for social media coverage of the conference
We’re looking for someone who is:
• A “people person” that is excited to be part of the GAS team
• Obsessively organized with a strong attention to detail
• A skilled editor
• A self-starter that takes strong initiative
• Collaborative in working with staff, Board, and community partners
• Flexible in responding to and working with shifting priorities of cyclical projects
• Committed to an “all-hands-on-deck” way of working, especially during conference season (this includes but is not limited to helping answer phone calls, assisting with inquiries about navigating and using the website, helping with conference registration, and traveling to/participating in the management of the conference)
• An independent worker but can also work well as part of a team in an often fast-paced, non-profit environment
• Experienced with visual arts organizations (glass experience is a plus!)
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education/experience
• Experience using social media as an effective promotional and communication tool
• Experience in graphic design, creating publications, driving a public persona for an entity (e.g., branding, story-telling)
• Excellent communication skills: verbal, written, electronic
• Proficiency with Adobe, Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, and other online applications
• Knowledge of operating a podcast is a bonus!
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
The Glass Art Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer, encouraging and supporting diversity of glass art, artists, and employees.
Communications ManagerEmploymentSocial Media Manager