Seeks Copy Editor / Employment
September 15, 2021
Organization Name: Surface Design Association
Organization Location: Remote
Surface Design Journal is a quarterly print publication that brings the world of contemporary fiber arts to your fingertips. International in scope, articles focus on contemporary textile and fiber-based art and design through a breathtaking array of concepts, applications, processes, and materials. The Journal delves deeply into the latest trends, expands existing knowledge about technique or applications and inspires readers in the studio and beyond.
Founded in 1977, SDA fosters a vibrant dialogue for and about contemporary innovations in fibers, art and design. In addition to the quarterly publication Surface Design Journal, SDA provides artist resources and opportunities, grants and awards, and supports a diverse world-wide community.
● Bachelor’s degree in advertising, marketing, public relations, writing, or related field, or or equivalent combination of education and experience
● 3-5 years of experience in copy editing or related fields, preferably within an arts publication environment
● Versed in AP style; familiar with Chicago Manual of Style; and can acclimate to in-house style
● Exceptional copy editing skills, including mastery of proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar
● Digitally savvy, with proficiency in MS Office suite
● Strong attention to detail, well-organized, deadline driven, and excellent time management skills
Copy Editor Duties & Responsibilities:
This position works closely with the Editor of Surface Design Journal to ensure both a professional and accessible publication.
● Proofread text and correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors
● Verify factual correctness of information, such as dates and statistics
● Check text for style, readability, and adherence to editorial policies
● Needs to know AP Style, which is a usage guide provided by the Associated Press Copy Editor Skills & Competencies
● Creativity: Copy editors must be curious, creative, and knowledgeable about a broad variety of topics
● Detail-orientation: A main task of the job is to make written work error-free, and to ensure that it matches the publication’s required style
● Interpersonal skills: Good communication and interpersonal skills help editors communicate with tact and encouragement to writers
● Writing skills: Copy editors must be able to write clearly and with good logic, and ensure that content has correct punctuation, grammar, and syntax
Work Schedule: Approximately 8 hours per issue (4 issues per year)
Compensation: This is an annual contract position paid at $50.00 an hour
How to apply: Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject heading of “copy editor.”
SDA understands that employment discrimination is a reality that impacts many people —
including BIPOC employees, people from working class backgrounds, disabled workers, women
and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do.
This is why we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are
members of other marginalized communities.
SDA is a non-profit, virtual organization and requires a candidate who is able to work
independently and is comfortable with a virtual office.