Seeks Executive Director / Employment
September 30, 2019
Organization Name: Art with Heart
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
Art with Heart Executive Director (ED)
Art with Heart (AWH) is a nonprofit organization based in Seattle with a vision to spread the healing power of creative expression to kids facing trauma or adversity. We do this through our portfolio of therapeutic activity books for kids K-12, and the companion leader curricula, training and online resources for the adults supporting them.
Since our inception in 1996, we have empowered over 200,000 kids with our books and programs, and provided over 4,000 educators, therapists, and other youth-serving adults with training and resources. Our office is currently located near Seattle University in the Childhaven building. We have a $750,000 annual budget with funding coming from individuals, foundations, events, and the sales of our books and resources. For more information, visit artwithheart.org.
The incoming Executive Director will inherit an organization with a reputation of quality and a commitment to creative expression and accessibility for children in need. We innovate to keep our materials relevant, and to provide depth of resources for youth-serving adults to build and bolster the success of their work. The ED will be responsible for all aspects of leading and growing the organization, overseeing effective operations and financing of the organization through both earned and contributed income.
They will work with a growing eight-member board to develop strategic direction, provide effective financial oversight, development of strong donor and community relationships to support strategic initiatives. The ED will bring or develop a deep knowledge of the field of childhood trauma, bereavement, Social and Emotional Learning (SEL), as well as core Art with Heart programs, relationships, partners, and non-profit operations. They will lead the organization in continuing strategic planning efforts, articulating intended impacts, and developing a Theory of Change. This position is an ex-officio member of the Board and the Board Chair serves as the ED’s primary point of contact.
Strategic Leadership and Governance
• Responsible for business planning and overall business management to ensure effective and efficient operations;
• Ensures that all aspects of the organization meet the mission-driven expectations of its partners, donors, funding organizations, Board of Directors and customers.
• Leads annual budgeting process, organizational design and other activities related to organizational health.
• Manages a core team of professionals with an emphasis on leadership development, results- oriented performance, diversity, equity and inclusion, and cross-functional collaboration.
• Oversees a small team of consultants that augment the core team. Members include mental health professionals who serve as trainers and content providers, grant writers, design and program contractors.
• Develops, maintains, and supports a strong Board of Directors, serving as a professional advisor to the Board in the successful execution of their responsibilities. Provides orientation, resources, and support to enable them to provide appropriate strategic guidance and oversight.
• Collaborates and communicates closely and effectively with Board of Directors and committee leadership, providing all relevant information and context for strategic planning, financial and operational oversight, donor relations and other initiatives.
Fundraising and Financing
• Responsible and accountable for the financial health and sustainability of the organization.
• Oversees and effectively balances mission-based earned income with contributed income for
optimal organizational health and sustainability.
• Ensures that all funds, physical assets, and other property of the organization are appropriately
administered and safeguarded.
• Oversees the organization’s finance and accounting operations.
• Leads the process of financial analysis, forecasting, cash flow management and budgeting, including annual and project budgets. Manages expenses and operates within annual budget.
• Analyzes and presents financial reports in an accurate and timely manner and clearly communicates all relevant financial results to Board of Directors.
• Manages month and year-end financial closeout process, annual audit and filing of annual tax returns. Oversees financial reconciliation processes.
Product Management and Innovation
• Oversees portfolio of products and services, ensuring quality, relevancy and accessibility for delivery partners.
• Oversees market growth and effective distribution of products, including innovation efforts to further increase access and sales.
• Works with appropriate partners to adapt, design and bring new innovations to market.
• Safeguards intellectual property and organizational trademarks.
• Manages the organization’s human resources function, including employee recruitment, retention, employee relations, performance management, and HR policies and practices.
• Leads efforts to build a collaborative and inclusive organizational culture. Fosters an organizational culture that is inclusive and welcoming to candidates and employees of all identities. Exhibits a strong commitment to equity best practices into the organization, partnerships and products to ensure an inclusive and equitable organization.
• Leads, coaches, develops, motivates team members and cultivates a positive work environment.
• Clearly defines roles, performance goals and standards; promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
• Ensures that AWH operates within legal and ethical HR practices
Community Relations & Advocacy
• Builds and nurtures strong community partnerships and represents AWH externally with community and business partners, key funders and donors and other nonprofit organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization.
• Acts as a spokesperson at events to enhance Art with Heart’s community profile.
The successful candidate for this position will be someone with a demonstrated passion for the work, a strong strategic focus, and a solid history of nonprofit leadership. This person should be a collaborator who can foster good working relationships with the staff, Board of Directors and external stakeholders, and is comfortable working within, and promoting a culture of strong teamwork. This position requires a communicator who can effectively promote and share the mission of Art with Heart with a variety of audiences, including funders, donors, and partners. The successful candidate will have fundraising experience and the skills to grow the organization through contributed income, while also possessing the business skills to grow the earned revenue streams through sales of our books, trainings and programs.
This position requires its leader to wear many hats; the ability to manage, develop and grow the team, while also working to advance the innovation goals of the organization to broaden our reach. They
must be an energetic and innovative thinker and problem solver.
Art with Heart is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in our team, our work and our products. Our new ED must embrace this commitment and demonstrate it in action and practice.
• Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university.
• Minimum of 5 years employment in senior management of not-for-profit or service organization.
• Demonstrated experience in business management, financial management and administrative
management of a small non-profit.
• Strong skills in business development, staff development and management, and fundraising.
• Experience working with governance boards, employees, volunteers, community leaders,
nonprofit organizations, foundations and diverse populations.
• Demonstrated strengths in strategic planning and strategic plan execution.
• Understanding of and commitment to strong brand image including high quality products, services
and strong brand management.
• Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, confidence and experience in public
• Passionate about our mission of helping children recover from childhood trauma and adversity,
and grounded in an understanding of the power of creative expression to enhance a child’s emotional wellbeing.
• Prior experience as Executive Director for a non-profit organization a plus.
• Experience with product innovation and/or ability to oversee or manage technology development
• Experience working/volunteering in the field of children’s health (hospitals) and mental health,
childhood trauma, art therapy or bereavement fields, and/or experience with children’s social and emotional learning through a community center or school would be a plus.
As an equal opportunity employer, AWH embraces diversity and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of age, race, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veterans’ status, national original, disability or sexual orientation.
Art with Heart offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current resume to Art with Heart, email@example.com. More information about our organization can be found online at www.artwithheart.org.