Seeks Gallery and Exhibitions Coordinator / Employment
October 22, 2021
Organization Name: Sand Point Arts and Cultural Exchange
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
The Magnuson Park Gallery presents exhibits from guest curators, emerging and established artists, and outside collections and seeks to provide a public and accessible forum for the arts, serving diverse audiences and forging regional collaborations.
The Exhibitions and Gallery Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Gallery. Working with the SPACE Executive Director and Board, the Coordinator works to fulfill the Gallery’s mission through coordinating exhibits, artist talks and events, community-based educational programs and engaging with visitors.
Hours: Part-time, 10-20 hours per week. Must be able to work Thursday and Friday. Evenings and weekends are required for events with advance notice.
This is currently a contract position and does not include benefits.
Coordinate with Executive Director and Artists to put on exhibitions, including establishing timeline, installing/de-installing work, labeling and lighting of artworks and obtaining consignment agreements for incoming artworks. Work with guest curators to bring their vision to life within the gallery.
Staff and schedule assistance of volunteers as needed for regular gallery hours (currently 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Thursday and Friday; and by appt.)
Maintain welcoming and clean environment in the gallery – open and close Officers Club for every shift and be able to share a minimal degree of Magnuson Park history with visitors. Provide art interpretation and information to visitors re: current show and artists.
Assist and work with board members and other volunteers to host artist receptions, talks and other events outside regular hours. This includes providing marketing assistance, preparing the gallery, circulating among visitors to answer questions and promote SPACE as a whole, and returning the gallery to its usual state in time for next day of business.
Provide marketing assistance by updating events on the website and social media platforms, writing exhibit promotions for the radio station to broadcast, and other design and promotion tasks.
Maintain accurate reporting of attendance numbers and other categories as defined by executive director in accordance with Public Benefit requirements.
Draft and manage Calls for Artists/Curators as determined by Executive Director.
Work with SPACE Executive Director to generate exhibition possibilities for the Gallery.
Assist with gift entry and thank you notes for SPACE.
Take on other intermittent duties in support of successful operations as defined by Executive Director and Board of Directors.
Process sales following established procedures.
• Education: Bachelor’s preferred; relevant life experience will also be considered
• Must have experience or be open to learning best practices in art handling and installation
• Must be organized, detail oriented, and have excellent project management skills
• Must be a self-starter, able to work with limited supervision
• Able to work variable and flexible hours
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Excellent computer skills including, MS Office Suite, Google+, basic HTML and web design
• Experience working with the public in an outreach capacity
• Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
• Experience with Zoom and other video conferencing programs
• Experience with various social media platforms
• A demonstrated commitment to racial equity and social justice
• Must be able to lift 20 lbs
• Position requires the ability to
• sit – at the desk for extended hours
• stand/walk – with visitors or during art installation/de-installation
• kneel, crouch often – to reach files/tools/supplies or during art installation/de-installation
• dexterity – ability to handle tools, such as a hammer
• Knowledge of Constant Contact
• Knowledge of Wix website design platform
• Worked in Non-profit, museum, and/or Gallery
• Adobe Suite proficiency
• Experience in event streaming
During this time, we know that the position will need to adapt depending on regulations at the time. Coordinator will work with SPACE Executive Director and Board to determine safety standards for visitors and staff within the Gallery. Some remote work and virtual coordination may be available.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions for this position.
SPACE is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all interested persons to apply.
Please email resume and a cover letter detailing specific experience and interest in the job to firstname.lastname@example.org