Seeks Guest Curator (Temporary) / Employment
November 1, 2019
Organization Name: The Gallery at the Kenneth J. Minnaert Center for the Arts
Organization Location: Olympia, WA
THE GALLERY at the KENNETH J. MINNAERT CENTER FOR THE ARTS
CALL FOR GUEST CURATOR
The Gallery Committee is seeking proposals from independent Native curators living in the Pacific Northwest for the annual Native American Art Exhibition to be held in February of 2020.
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION:
For more than a decade, The Gallery has been host to an annual exhibition featuring works by local indigenous artists, including youth. Opening receptions have included cultural performances and the spoken word. Exhibitions are well attended, most recently drawing more than 800 individuals from campus and surrounding communities.
ABOUT THE GALLERY:
The Gallery is 1200 square feet. The walls are made of drywall backed with ¾” plywood. There is an 11’ ½” high Unistrut grid system with track lighting throughout, four 4’ x 6’ movable hanging walls, and approximately twenty pedestals of various dimensions.
The guest curator will
• Be involved in all aspects of exhibition planning and execution including contacting artists and selecting work, inviting performers, creation of didactics and labels, artwork handling/installation and take-down.
• Draw upon their scholarship and knowledge of regional Native art to create and present a rigorous, professional, informative, and unique exhibition that is respectful of Native tradition.
• Arrange for complementary performances or events (music, dance, spoken word, etc.). See exhibition support below.
The exhibit will
• Highlight work by Native artists, adult and youth, from local and regional tribes, and/or Native artists from other locations who now live in the area.
• Engage viewers and the community and celebrate the art and culture of Native community members.
• Include artwork created by local Native youth during the annual FIRE Summit.
The curator may not include their own work in the exhibition.
GALLERY EXHIBITION SUPPORT:
– $2500 curatorial honorarium for contacting artists, selecting work, inviting performers, creation of didactics and labels, artwork handling/installation and take-down.
– $1000 budget towards complementary performances or events (music, dance, spoken word, etc.).
-Installation assistance, including space preparation and lighting.
-Design, produce, and mail posters and postcards.
-Provide catering for the opening reception.
-Manage daily operation of gallery space for the duration of the exhibition.
Review of applications begins immediately.
Exhibition installation: February 10 – 14, 2020
Opening reception: February 21, 2020 (4:30-7:30 pm)
Opens: February 17, 2020
Closes: March 20, 2020
Take-down: March 23 – 25, 2020
Please submit a PDF including the following to email@example.com:
1) Curatorial CV
2) Exhibition narrative (max. 500 words) describing show concept and rationale for suggested artists/artworks and performers.
3) Representative images and brief bios for at least 3 prospective artists. Please caption each image with title, artist, medium and date of completion.
4) Contact information for two professional references. References may be contacted if your proposal is selected.
5) Technical requirements.
For additional questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (360) 596-5527