Seeks Operations Supervisor / Employment
September 30, 2021
Organization Name: Pilchuck Glass School
Organization Location: Stanwood, WA
Full-time, year-round, exempt status
Pilchuck Glass School (PGS) is an international center for glass art education. Our serene campus in Stanwood, Washington, is nestled in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains on a former tree farm. PGS has a gallery and administrative office in Seattle, Washington, located in historic Pioneer Square.
From May through September every year, our summer and fall program offers a series of courses as well as residencies for established artists in all media. Summer sessions vary in length and offer concurrent courses in a variety of glass working processes for artists of all skill levels. Small classes taught by world-renowned artists and instructors emphasize experimentation and teamwork while fostering individual initiative and expression. PGS also offers residencies for both emerging and established artists during the fall and spring. Increasingly, PGS is introducing new programming to populations who have traditionally lacked access to this type of educational experience.
Additional information available at pilchuck.org
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reports to: Deputy Director
The Operations Supervisor (OS) will serve an integral role on our Stanwood campus, working with all full-time staff to help support the operations of Pilchuck’s campus to provide education, outreach, and artistic programs. This position manages the administrative aspects of campus operations and programs systems. As the manager of our seasonal staff and work study fellows, the OS is responsible for recruiting, selecting, training, and supervising a diverse staff of studio, campus, and program support. The OS also works closely with the Deputy Director to help manage the budgeting and long-term investments in campus support systems, such as food service, housing, and social amenities.
This position reports to our Stanwood campus and works closely with all Pilchuck staff, particularly our campus staff. Salary range is $48,000 – $52,000 (DOE) with standard benefits package, retirement eligibility after 6 months, vacation, and sick leave.
• Supervises all Seasonal Staff and Work Study Fellows
• Onboards Seasonal staff and Work Study Fellows each session, ensuring compliance with Pilchuck Glass School’s hiring practices, state, and federal laws
• Works with Deputy Director on any elements that require action/further support for Seasonal Staff
• Collaborates with the Artistic Director to determine and support the needs of the education, outreach, and artistic programs of the school
• Maintains and updates campus forms, information, and policies for Seasonal Staff
• Supports compliance with OSHA and WISHA rules
• Coordinates arrival/departure timing, housing, and activities of all campus participants
• Assists the Outreach Education Supervisor to plan and execute social activities and seasonal campus evening events, such as Studio Walkthroughs and other campus events
• Works collaboratively with the Development team providing campus logistical support for Spring tours and other campus events
• Primary first responder to campus support phone line
• Provide appropriate assistance on the annual auction as directed by the Director of Development
• Other duties as assigned
• Excellent organizational skills
• High level of honesty, integrity, and confidentiality
• Good people skills, communicating effectively with a diverse constituency
• Excellent attention to detail
• Ability to maintain calm and professional demeanor in a community setting
• Self-starter who can work independently but also as part of a team
• Knowledge and training in glass processes and equipment, or the ability to learn
• Function effectively in a team environment, no job is too big or too small
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks under pressure
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
• 2-3 years of experience in operation, preferably in a non-profit or educational environment
• Experience with management/supervision of others
• Knowledge of Washington State Labor Laws and Worker Health & Safety, or ability to become aware
• Knowledge of AV/Video/Networking in preferred but not required
• Current First Aid/CPR/AED certification or ability to become certified
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• Must be able to talk, listen, and speak clearly with fellow staff and campus students and visitors
• The ability to walk, as well as ascend and descend stairs, ramps, and ladders on campus
Interviews will be rolling with a deadline to apply by Thursday, September 30, 2021. Email resume, cover letter addressing relevant experience, and contract information for three references to Donna Davies, Deputy Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The email subject line should say “Operations Supervisor, [Your Name].” All attached files must be labeled that also include your last name.
Pilchuck Glass School is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and participants. Pilchuck encourages all interested persons to apply regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
EmploymentJobsPilchuck Glass SchoolSeattleStanwood