Seeks Part Time Exhibitions Coordinator / Employment
Pilchuck Glass School is seeking a self-motivated and highly responsible team member to serve as the Exhibitions Coordinator. This is a part-time position providing year-round support to the Artistic and Executive Directors of monthly activities and long-range planning and administration of Pilchuck’s Gallery. Coordination and installation of exhibitions, along with excellent customer service and stewardship of the organization, are at the core of this position.
The Pilchuck Gallery, located in Pioneer Square, supports the artistic vision of the school and connection to our local community. The space shows approximately eight exhibitions per year and includes a two-month holiday sale.
• Work closely with Artistic Director to assist in the planning and implementation of exhibitions, artist talks, and exhibition openings in the Seattle Exhibition Space
• Create compelling, mission-driven programming for exhibitions, educational talks, lectures, and events
• Be available and manage all First Thursday Art Walk events
• Stewardship of exhibiting artists to maintain a positive experience before, during, and after exhibition opportunities
• Prepare and send contracts to artists
• Track inventory of works for exhibitions and retail sales
• Manage delivery and installation of work into the exhibition space
• Assist Director of Marketing with promotion of exhibitions, including collecting images and information from artists
• Assists with operating and maintaining Pilchuck’s online store
• Installation and de-installation of exhibitions (install shelving, paint, lighting, etc.)
• Catalog and organize consignment store inventory
• Develop and manage the Seattle Gallery budget
• Direct resource for guests, public/private tours, and gallery talks
• Ownership of Campus Gallery during special events, which may include extended hours
• Available for occasional weekend/evenings
• Self-motivated and able to set and meet deadlines
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong interpersonal capabilities and ability to be a team player
• Personable and possesses the ability to communicate and collaborate easily and effectively with a wide variety of people
• Ability to motivate constituents (artists, assistants, volunteers)
• Strong organizational skills with excellent attention to detail
• Proficiency in: Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, InDesign
• Ability to work and complete tasks in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently and cooperatively with Pilchuck’s entire staff
• Knowledgeable about contemporary art, design, technology as well as glass processes and applications and the artists that employ the material
• Knowledgeable about gallery hardware and ability to problem solve installations
Schedule, Compensation and Benefits:
This is a part-time, hourly position with an estimated average of 26 hours per week with Tuesday – Friday operating hours and monthly First Thursday Art Walk evening openings. However, certain special events, weekends, and evening hours will be required. Compensation will be approximately $18 – $20 per hour depending on experience. This position also has accrual of paid vacation and sick time.
This position requires regular installation of artwork, lighting shows, movement of exhibition materials and handling deliveries of artwork. Candidates must have the ability to climb ladders, paint walls, maneuver exhibition hardware, and lift up to 40 pounds.
Applications are due by December 6 and should include the following:
• A one-page cover letter outlining your interest in and qualifications for the position and salary requirements
• A resume or CV
• List of 3 relevant references with contact information
Please submit all suggestions, nominations, and applications in confidence to email@example.com with the subject: “Exhibitions Coordinator, Your Name” No phone calls please.
Pilchuck Glass School is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and participants. Pilchuck encourages all interested persons to apply regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, veteran, or disability status.