Seeks Poet Laureate 2022-2023 / Calls & Submissions
November 1, 2021
Organization Name: City of Redmond
Organization Location: Redmond, WA
Type: Calls & Submissions
The City of Redmond seeks applications for the position of City of Redmond Poet Laureate
FUNDING: $5,000 Artist Fees per year and $5,000 Project Materials per year
CONTACT: Chris Weber, Cultural Arts Administrator (phone) 425-556-2316 (email) firstname.lastname@example.org
• Friday, October 15, 2021 Open Call
• Monday November 1, 2021 at 5pm Applications due
• Week of November 8, 2021 Selection/Interview Panels
• Friday, December 7, 2021 Selection announced
• January 1, 2022- December 31, 2023 (24 months) Offer public program(s)
The term of office is one year, renewable for another year, beginning January 2023
CALL: The City of Redmond seeks applications for the position of Redmond Poet Laureate
The purpose of the Redmond Poet Laureate program is to make a significant contribution to the
cultural life of the city, and reveal new ways of understanding throughout our diverse community.
Duties of the Redmond Poet Laureate
The Poet Laureate will:
1. Broaden the awareness of poetry.
2. Express the spirit of Redmond culture through poetry.
3. Raise the level of discourse during discussions and debates in the City.
Scope of Work
The Poet Laureate will generate a work plan within the allocated budget each year that includes
participation in at least one if not both municipal events annually and community engagement
opportunities that could include public poetry readings, reading at city council meetings, workshops,
classes, lectures, text based visual art, composing and publishing original works, public art projects or
other literary based performance or activity, which could include partnerships with the library, local
schools, or other community groups.
Compensation: Artist Fees: $5,000 per year
Project materials: $5,000 per year
Paid by host: Artist fees and project materials fees listed above; marketing materials; and staff
support. Potential presentation, workshop or programming space is available.
Paid by artist: Artists will cover their own travel expenses to and from Redmond; Artists can increase the scale of projects through outside funding sources pursued by the artist.
This compensation will be reflected in a written agreement that must be renewed annually. The City
may decide not to renew the agreement for any reason.
1. The selection panel will recommend a candidate to the Arts and Culture Commission
2. The Arts and Culture Commission will approve the final candidate
Eligibility: Eligible nominees must meet the following requirements:
– Be a poet with a substantial body of work published, with active projects in the last five years
– Show strong program planning and implementation
Applications will be selected through a selection panel. Criteria for selection will be:
– Quality and strength of past work
– Potential to make a significant contribution to the cultural life of the City
– Commitment to the role of poetry in civic life
– Availability of the artist for a term of up to 24 months
– Demonstrated experience serving a linguistically and culturally diverse community
– Ability to plan and execute projects happening in Redmond
1. Completed Poet Laureate Application Form (see page 3)
2. Resume or CV of professional activities and achievement (maximum of 4 pages). List in
chronological format (not narrative). Include significant awards and training, selected
exhibitions, performances, presentations and/or publications.
3. Samples of Original Written Works limited to 20 works (plays, poems, songs, stories of fiction,
biographical work, creative non-fiction) or 10 pages, whichever comes first.
1. Please submit a completed Poet Laureate Application Form and all the prescribed
attachments in one consolidated PDF (preferred)
2. Send materials in an email to Cultural Arts CulturalArts@redmond.gov with subject line Poet
3. Applications are due on Monday November 1, 2021 at 5:00pm
Calls & SubmissionsFundingRemond