Senior Manager, IT / Employment
April 30, 2022
Organization Name: MoPOP
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
We’re really glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP! We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a range of people, no matter our differences in race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, education, socio-economic status, ethnicity, country of origin, or any other characteristic that makes us who we are. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact.
MoPOP provides both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from any background to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is actively committed to ongoing learning in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). In partnership with our community, we hope to also develop safe spaces for their application. This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and encourage BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals to apply. We acknowledge that our work to build safe spaces and better systems for traditionally marginalized groups is ongoing and will require constant vigilance and expect all MoPOP employees to be part of our DEIA journey.
The Senior IT Manager position is primarily responsible for the day‐to‐day management, oversight, and support of MoPOP’s technology operations team, helping to meet their stated goals while keeping them aligned with organizational priorities & goals, on schedule and within budget. In addition, this position is accountable for ensuring continuity of computer services for computer users throughout the organization through planning, technical leadership, and project coordination. The ideal candidate has a proven track record managing technology team, can implement, and maintain cost-effective organization wide solutions, is a creative problem-solver, a mentor, a strong communicator, an independent operator, and an effective manager of people.
This role plans, directs, and coordinates technology projects and daily operations to ensure that our mission, core values, and operational goals are accomplished while keeping our non‐profit institution on a path of financial and technological sustainability. This person will continually build, lead, support and develop a team that provides leadership, customer service, creativity, and analytical support to the institution.
Essential Job Duties (additional duties as assigned):
• Responsible for annual and multi-year IT Operations budgets and staffing plans.
• Partner with senior leadership to align IT projects and initiatives with organizational priorities and goals.
• Analyze technology needs for functional operations and determine the scope of technical projects and initiatives in supporting both ongoing operations and organizational goals.
• Plan and direct hardware and software purchases to sustainably support staff and ongoing operations.
• Recommend, plan, and manage custom software development and enterprise software deployments.
• Manage vendor and consultant relationships, negotiate contracts and services, and provide project oversight and management to ensure effective use of outside resources.
• Review proposals and requests from internal stakeholders to determine goals, time frames, funding frameworks, and procedures for accomplishing projects, including staffing requirements and allotment of resources.
• Prepare project status reports and keep management, stakeholders, and key personnel informed of project status and related issues.
• Create and execute risk management strategies for ensuring information security, compliance with all necessary standards, backups of business-critical information, and business continuity.
• Direct and coordinate activities of IT personnel to ensure projects and initiatives progress on schedule and within budget.
• Manage and oversee IT staff, assign duties and responsibilities, collaborate on goal setting and staff growth, assess staff performance.
• Support our internal culture which inspires and empowers our staff to live our mission to its highest standards.
• Contribute to a consistent customer service standard across all departments.
• Work to ensure customer service is ingrained at the core of the team and is reflected outward to our guests and other staff.
• Commitment to participating in anti-racism work, learning about the ways institutional racism impacts the workplace, and supporting teammates in operationalizing DEIA strategies in the department.
• At least 10 years of experience in the information technology field with increasing levels of responsibility.
• At least 5 years of supervisory/management experience.
• Multiple years of experience with virtualization and cloud-based services.
• Excellent communication skills required.
• Proven ability to provide effective customer service for internal and external client groups.
• Must be detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills to manage a continuous workflow in a high volume, multi-tasking environment.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment with a dynamic range of people.
This full-time position includes a generous benefits package which will be shared during the hiring process.
Reasonable accommodations may be made during the application or hiring process upon request, please contact HR@MoPOP.org.