Sr. Manager, Equity + Inclusion / Employment
August 20, 2022
Organization Name: MoPOP
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
We’re really glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP! We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a range of people, no matter our differences in race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, education, socio-economic status, ethnicity, country of origin, or any other characteristic that makes us who we are. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact.
MoPOP provides both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from any background to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is actively committed to ongoing learning in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). In partnership with our community, we hope to also develop safe spaces for their application. This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and encourage BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals to apply. We acknowledge that our work to build safe spaces and better systems for traditionally marginalized groups is ongoing and will require constant vigilance and expect all MoPOP employees to be part of our DEIA journey.
As the Sr. Manager, Equity + Inclusion at MoPOP, you will be responsible for driving the organization’s diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility plans and initiatives internally, with support from senior leaders and the people + culture team. You will help elevate our DEI+A efforts across our people practices, our content offerings and our operations. In this position, you will also create, implement and assess programs and policies that support our core values of acceptance and accessibility, along with helping to further a culture of respect, equality and inclusiveness.
Essential Job Duties (additional duties as assigned):
• Alongside the Director, develop and implement a strategic plan for MoPOP’s DEI+A Program with the support of the leadership team and staff, building the framework to guide our work, developing new programs and practices that effectively increase diversity and inclusion, and providing support to various groups within the organization.
• Drive and track progress of the DEI+A strategic plan across all departments with cross- functional teams. Develop overall metrics and evaluate and revise plan goals/task as needed.
• Create and implement staff engagement and climate survey to gauge staff engagement initiatives
• Manage semi-annual reporting on DEI+A plan updating staff, leadership, the board of directors and external partners on progress.
• Collaborate with department leaders to ensure DEI+A is considered in the decision-making process throughout the organization – inquiring what it looks like for their respective business areas and help provide action items to achieve results.
• Collaborate with People + Culture leaders to drive diverse talent strategies including recruiting, hiring, retention, leadership development and succession planning. Assess potential barriers and develop tactics to overcome them.
• Partner with the communications team to develop and implement DEI+A communication plan (e.g. diversity intranet site, newsletter articles, Teams channels) to support diversity strategies and communicate across the organization as appropriate, along with external constituents.
• Partner with the various content teams (exhibits, education, programs, marketing/communications) to establish overarching DEI+A filters for content development that helps achieve our DEI+A goals to create further connection between MoPOP content and the wide audience we serve.
• Partner with Manager of Community Engagement and with external consultants to develop and coordinate internal trainings, round tables, discussions, etc. on cultural competence, focusing on self-awareness, attitudes and behaviors towards others and increased cultural knowledge.
• Develop policies and practices to be an intentional and responsive community member.
• Support our internal culture which inspires and empowers our staff to live our mission to its highest standards.
• Contribute to a consistent customer service standard across all departments.
• Work to ensure customer service is ingrained at the core of the team and is reflected outward to our guests and other staff.
• Commitment to participating in anti-racism work, learning about the ways institutional racism impacts the workplace, and supporting teammates in operationalizing DEIA strategies in the department.
• Demonstrated experience with DEI+A efforts, resulting in a record of furthering business strategies and creating best practices.
• Demonstrated ability to inspire trust among all employees, including those with diverse backgrounds, identities and lived experiences.
• Ability to convey complex ideas, unique concepts, and proposals to enroll team, peers, and management.
• Experience working with employees and leaders across teams, and complex organizations.
• Demonstrated team leadership, coaching and group facilitation skills. Challenges employees and leadership effectively and respectfully.
• Feels comfortable having and encouraging open and honest conversations about challenges and opportunities in the DEI+A space.
• High level of business insight and integrity. Maintain a high-level of confidentiality and exercise discretion when working with sensitive or confidential information.
• Foundational knowledge of employment law issues and general human resources and management concepts – understands when to involve HR, legal, other department leads or internal resources.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with an attention to detail.
• Demonstrated experience navigating ambiguity and building iterative processes.
• Ability to create a mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
This full-time position includes a generous benefits package which will be shared during the hiring process.
Reasonable accommodations may be made during the application or hiring process upon request, please contact jobs@MoPOP.org.