Studio and Safety Technician / Employment
August 20, 2022
Organization Name: Whitman College
Organization Location: Walla Walla, WA
Studio and Safety Technician
Located in the historic community of http://www.wallawalla.org/, Whitman’s vibrant and beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually diverse, dynamic, welcoming and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty serving approximately 1,500 students from the local region and across the globe. With exceptional students, accomplished faculty and staff, and a fiercely loyal and growing number of engaged alumni, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
http://whitman.edu/ is cultivating a community built on inclusion and belonging. We recognize the value of those who can offer historically underrepresented perspectives and encourage applications from those whose background, knowledge, and insights from lived experience can add to the college’s working and learning environment. Whitman College is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer (EEO) .
Under the direction of the Studio Art faculty and the campus Safety Coordinator, the Studio and Safety Technician provides support for maintaining a clean, organized, safe and effective studio art facility.
• Maintain and provide upkeep for the studio art labs, the FCVA gallery, exhibition spaces and display furniture, and senior studios (including assisting students with proper installation and deinstallation techniques).
• Manage a safe working environment, which includes oversight of student use of power tools in the wood and metal shop, maintaining of safety equipment, cataloging and proper storage, use, and disposal of hazardous materials, and utilizing proper hazardous materials signage and record-keeping.
• Maintain tool and digital equipment inventory, including power tools, cameras, tripods, video/sound recorders, as well as researching new tools, techniques, display options, hardware, software, etc. to improve or expand departmental resources.
• Supervise students and assist faculty with safe and effective use of departmental resources including welding equipment, large-format printer, laser-cutter, CNC router, and 3D printing.
• Ability to contribute to the college’s core values of diversity, equity, inclusion and antiracism.
• Monitor and coordinate art department work study students.
• Assist the Art Faculty with departmental tasks including the display of student work; preparation of art classrooms for classes; ordering, pickup and delivery of studio art materials and supplies.
• Maintain department website, and document student work and events for website
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation:
• Basic technical mechanical skills should include: wood working, CNC operations, metal fabrication, welding, cutting, use of basic hand tools and power tools, digital printing, laser-cutter use, and familiarity with digital tools (cameras, projectors, etc.)
• Ability to perform tool and equipment maintenance associated with art processes (hand tools, printers, cameras, etc.)
• Strong organizational and communications skills. This person will need to work closely with students, faculty, and a range of support people throughout campus and in the community in an efficient and effective manner.
• Basic understanding and sensitivity to the needs of a thriving studio art program.
• Must be self-motivated and able to manage unsupervised time well.
B.F.A. or B.A. or relevant experience
Whitman offers competitive employee benefits, including https://www.whitman.edu/documents/Offices/Human-Resources/HumanResources/2015OpenEnrollment/OpenEnrollment/2022-OEL-and-Benefit-Guide-Whitman-College.pdf, a generous 10% matching contribution to the https://www.whitman.edu/human-resources/benefits/retirement, and paid time off including https://www.whitman.edu/human-resources/faculty-and-staff/staff-handbook/benefits#holidays for full-time staff https://www.whitman.edu/human-resources/faculty-and-staff/staff-handbook/benefits#vacation and https://www.whitman.edu/human-resources/faculty-and-staff/staff-handbook/benefits#sick leave. Learn more about benefits eligibility https://www.whitman.edu/human-resources/benefits.
At Whitman College, we take seriously the safety of our community. Whitman is a fully vaccinated campus, requiring all employees and students to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations or have an approved exemption. More information can be found https://www.whitman.edu/covid-dashboard/updates/july-1-2021–new-vaccination-requirements-and-state-guidance.
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATION FOR JOB CANDIDATES
Contact Human Resources regarding requests for disability accommodation in the employment application process.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through August 8, 2022.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://apptrkr.com/3268646
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.