Temporary Podcast Director / Employment
March 7, 2022
Organization Name: StoryBoards
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
Call for Podcast Director
Director of Podcast: Buried Alive
StoryBoards is a Washington State 501c3 whose mission is to preserve and promote oral histories through the arts.
StoryBoards is looking for a Director for an 8-episode podcast. The Director will set their artistic vision for the podcast series, working with the existing cast, collaborating with the composer/conductor, and sound technician. The Director will lead rehearsals, and monitor the production’s pacing. The Director will lead the final recording of all 8 episodes. All work will be done on Zoom or similar platform.
The Director will report to StoryBoards principals.
Position ends after postproduction – editing, sound fx and music.
• Serve as leader for the 8-episode podcast created and produced by StoryBoards
• Set artistic vision for the podcast and clearly communicate it to the cast and collaborators.
• Director will have a certain amount of creative control in conjunction with the Creative Team.
• Collaborate with writer and StoryBoards Creative Team to set the overall content strategy. (Director will have a certain amount of creative control)
• Lead rehearsals collaborating creatively with actors.
• Collaborate with composer and sound technician.
• Manage actors; provide work direction, constructive performance coaching, and on-going feedback.
• Help/review/supervise the final editing of recorded materials
• Lead auditions for vacant roles as needed (virtual).
• Draw out character motivations and relationships (from the actors).
• Meet with 5-member StoryBoards Creative Team as needed (virtual).
• A Bachelor’s degree in theatre production or related field of media arts, or the equivalent in experience within the field.
• 3 years of related work experience; at least three years of podcast management and development experience preferred (or equivalent).
Abilities and Traits:
• Creative thinker with a passion for audio production and storytelling.
• Strong artistic judgment and integrity.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Understanding of the digital media landscape in audio storytelling.
• Experience leading and managing production teams
• Knowledge of developing a podcast or similar audio production.
• Strong people manager with experience supporting talent: ability to teach, inspire and lead.
• A strong team orientation and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate at all levels with cast, writer and creative team.
• Excellent organizational skills and work ethic.
• Works calmly under pressure, react quickly, and meet deadlines.
• Able and willing to work varied hours as needed.
• Committed to addressing content for and with underserved communities.
Work Environment & Physical Demands: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals will work in a totally virtual environment such as zoom.
The entire creative team for the podcast Buried Alive is an all volunteer with the exception of one part time staff member.
The Director’s compensation will be an honorarium negotiated at the time of the interview.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
www.storyboardsNW.org (for additional details)
Job Type: Part-time