Visitor Experience Representative / Employment
April 15, 2022
Organization Name: Henry Art Gallery
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
The Museum Services Department ensures a safe and welcoming museum experience for visitors and staff alike. Visitor Experience Representatives (VERs) serve as the Henry’s frontline staff, and offer exceptional customer service both in the galleries and at the front desk. VERs ensure that visitors follow various museum policies, and monitor exhibition spaces to ensure artwork safety.
STATUS: Part-time, FLSA non-exempt, non-benefited
STARTING PAY: $17.50 per hour
REPORTS TO: Museum Services Manager
• 2 shifts per week Thursday through Sunday (must include at least one weekend day)
• 15.5 – 17.5 hours per week
• Expected to work several programs and events during the year that fall outside of regular museum hours (typically Thursday, Friday, or Saturday nights)
What VERs do at the Henry:
• Engage in dialogue with visitors and answer questions about the exhibitions while working in the gallery spaces
• Observe and pass along concerns with artworks or building conditions to appropriate staff
• Learn about the museum’s current exhibitions and programs to provide helpful information and respond to inquiries
• Attend walk-throughs of upcoming exhibitions with Curatorial and Exhibitions staff to learn more about the works, artists, and art safety concerns
• Remind visitors of museum policies and make sure they are followed in the galleries and other museum spaces, while maintaining a polite demeanor and providing a positive experience
• Operate a radio to maintain communication with other team members and museum security staff
• Provide admissions desk support including: answering telephones, providing information and assistance to callers and visitors as needed, greeting museum visitors and administrative appointments
• Sell museum admission, event and program tickets, and memberships at the admissions desk, using the Point of Sale software (cash handling)
• Assist with the front of house set up, flow, and breakdown of events
• Performing other customer service, administrative, and front-of-house related tasks as the need arises; and as they relate to the overall needs of the museum
VERs can expect to be both stationary (sitting, standing) and active (moving around the galleries) during shifts.
Connect with us if you:
• Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and enjoy engaging with new people
• Have experience in customer service, hospitality, and/or public-facing, service-oriented work
• Have worked as part of a team and understand what it means to share responsibility for a common goal
• Know how to interact diplomatically with the public; to maintain composure in the face of resistance or indifference
• Can react quickly and efficiently in situations where art and visitor safety are of concern
• Can remain vigilant for extended periods of time and are adaptable to quick changes in work flow
• Have a background in art and/or an interest in learning about and working around contemporary art
If the above description does not fit you precisely but you think you would be an excellent fit for this role, please apply. We encourage you to speak directly to areas of potential growth, interest, and/or experience in your cover letter.
Diverse backgrounds make us stronger. We highly encourage Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQ+, and individuals of all abilities to apply.
Please see website for more details.