Web Manager / Employment
March 4, 2022
Organization Name: MOHAI
Organization Location: Seattle, WA
Museum Vision and Mission:
MOHAI is treasured locally and respected nationally as a vibrant resource where history inspires us to be our best, individually and collectively. By collecting and preserving artifacts and stories of our diverse history, MOHAI highlights our regional tradition of innovation and imagination. Through compelling exhibits, scholarship, education, public programs, and community engagement, MOHAI bridges the past, present, and future. MOHAI is a place and a community of people with histories of successes and failures that: bind us together; amuse, disturb, and inspire us; inform and guide us; and deepen our connection with our heritage.
Position: Web Manager
Reports to: Chief Advancement Officer
Location: MOHAI Resource Center at Georgetown
Classification: Exempt, Full-time
Schedule: Monday – Friday, with occasional evenings and weekends
Rate of Pay: $65,000 – $70,000 DOE
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision and life insurance and participation in a 403(b) savings plan
The Web Manager is responsible for updating content on mohai.org, managing back-end updates, and working with the Chief Advancement Officer, museum departments, and designers to create webpages, etc. This position is also responsible for leading the website redesign and implementing strategies for MOHAI’s website to reflect the museum’s voice, mission and goals. Additionally, the Web Manager tracks and reports website metrics including engagement rates and more. This position is a member of the Advancement Department.
• Manage website development, technical programming, WordPress design, and daily operations.
• Design, build or maintain website using authoring or scripting languages, content creation tools, management tools and digital media.
• Lead website redesign project, create RFP, develop project timeline and budget. Work with vendors to execute on time and on budget.
• Increase website capacity and functionality and user interface to support a virtual museum and to increase online programming and resources.
• Work with Advancement team and MOHAI staff to prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, develop criteria and/or choose solutions.
• Convert documents into HTML or other scripting languages.
• Work with outsourced IT vendor to identify, standardize, and ensure access, security and uptime.
• Work with outsourced IT vendor to document and carry out disaster backup/recovery plans.
• Recommend website improvements and develop budgets to support recommendations.
• Work closely with Advancement team to develop and coordinate marketing strategies to increase user engagement, fundraising capacity, and ensure website aligns with other digital communication goals.
• Work to optimize SEO for the website.
• Administer Google analytics.
• Perform QA for website changes made.
• Ensure that all interactions are culturally responsive, respectful, and based on a foundation of MOHAI’s commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
• Work with other MOHAI departments and staff to promote MOHAI exhibits, programs and services.
• Opportunity to serve on IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility) Committee.
• Support the maintenance of and monitor the website. Track, compile and report usage trends and feedback.
• Generate monthly website metrics reports, track progress and report achievements quarterly.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of five years of progressively responsible positions in institutional communications and marketing, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
• Bachelor’s degree or any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Collegial and able to communicate clearly, concisely, and diplomatically to a wide range of people.
• Experience working with websites and managing a website for a public-facing institution or organization. Demonstrated experience working with CSS, HTML, WordPress, analytic programs and Photoshop as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Blackbaud products. Google Analytics certified. Proficient in: WordPress, Facebook Pixel, cPanel, and Microsoft Excel.
• Basic graphic to advanced design skills and proficiency with Adobe creative suite. Knowledge of how to adapt visual materials for digital content.
• Enthusiasm for MOHAI’s exhibits, programs, and mission.
• Team oriented and goal focused. Strong organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple priorities and responsibilities.
• Available to work occasional evenings and weekends.
• Bilingual and multilingual skills valued.
Find yourself checking a lot of these boxes but doubting whether you should apply? If you meet some of the requirements and you share MOHAI’s values and support our mission, we encourage you to apply. As part of our ongoing commitment to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, we’re invested in building teams with a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, and experiences.
For more than 60 years, MOHAI has been dedicated to enriching lives by preserving, sharing, and teaching the diverse history of Seattle, the Puget Sound region and the nation. With a collection of nearly 4 million artifacts, photographs, oral histories and archival items, and an expansive schedule of exhibits and programs, MOHAI is the region’s premier history center. MOHAI operates a dramatic and award-winning museum in Lake Union Park in Seattle’s vibrant South Lake Union neighborhood and a Resource Center in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood. MOHAI also hosts the Bezos Center for Innovation, focusing on the history and future of innovation in the Puget Sound region. MOHAI is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and is an official affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. For more information, please visit www.mohai.org.
Please email letter of interest, resume, and three references to Human.Resources@mohai.org.
No phone calls, please.
MOHAI is a 501(c)(3) organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team and an organizational culture that fosters inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We encourage candidates of color to apply.