Wood/Metals Studio Assistant | Artist Studio – Bellingham, WA / Employment
April 30, 2023
Organization Name: Professional Artist
Organization Location: Bellingham, WA
An established sculptor is seeking a creative, driven, and experienced Wood/Metals Studio Assistant to oversee the production, maintenance and inventory of the wood/metals shops within a professional studio art practice. The Studio Assistant will work closely with the Artist and Studio Manager in upkeep and operations of the wood/metals shops including all wood fabrication, welding, mount making, developing forms in wood and metal for varying sculptural projects, apparatus fabrication for sculptural production, and general construction needs for the artist’s studio. This role offers a distinct opportunity to lead, cast vision for, and establish the wood and metals shops in a newly constructed studio space. The Studio Assistant will be expected to maintain each of the shops and all related operations while following workplace and material conscious safety guidelines and procedures.
● Operates and maintains a wood and metals shop within a professional sculptor’s studio practice.
● Upkeeps and maintains wood/metal workshop operations: machinery oversight and service, maintenance, material stocking, etc.
● Operates and maintains all metal related equipment.
● Operates and maintains all wood shop equipment and power tools.
● Maintains clean and organized wood/metal shop worksites.
● Oversees all wood shop fabrication including processing slabs, construction, traditional joinery, casework, sanding, finishing etc.
● Develops forms in wood and metal for varying sculptural projects.
● Oversees apparatus fabrication for various sculptural production projects
● Welds, bends, and forms metals per project requirements.
● Conducts varying surface finishing processes with metals and wood on sculptural projects.
● Maintains general construction needs of the artist’s studio.
● Develops artwork, projects, and processes from verbal descriptions along with schematics & sketches to troubleshoot the structural feasibility of wood and/or metal fabrication.
● Minimum of 5 years fabrication shop experience
● Experience operating and maintaining metals and welding equipment (Tig/ Acetylene).
● Experience operating and maintaining wood shop equipment and power tools.
● Understanding of the environmentally safe procedure of disposing of potentially toxic materials
● Broader construction knowledge/experience
● Candidate is self-motivated, reliable, trustworthy and attentive to task completion and enjoys working in a creative environment while learning and developing new processes.
● Strong organizational and time management skills including the ability to multitask, prioritize, and independently manage varied assignments.
● Proficiency in basic computer software and programs.
● Follows all necessary safety measures and guidelines in all working processes.
● Proficient in exercising discretion and confidentiality.
● Mount making experience
● Knowledge of wood properties & milling processes: air drying/green wood/kiln drying
● Pattern/mold making experience (plaster and silicone)
● Metal casting processes and experience
● Art handling, storing, shipping, and installing artwork
● Plating, polishing, patinas and metalsmithing skills
● Knowledge of environmentally sound materials and processes in a wood/metal shop
● Must be able to traverse all areas of the studio including walking, climbing, reaching, bending, crawling, or stretching.
● Ability to carry & move heavy objects.
● Ability to safely operate mobile elevated work platforms, shop production equipment, power and hand tools.
● Ability to work on-site, in shared indoor and outdoor space with staff following guidelines in accordance with the health department and local ordinances.
Compensation & Benefits:
Starting at 30/hrs up to possibly 40/hrs per week, Monday-Thursday Starting at $20/hr
60-day trial period, after which there are additional benefits